The hunt continues!

Keemofish4ever

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2015
The Car
Just 5 but I've kept a lot more and couldn't find any of my pics. Hope they didn't get erased some how.
Hey boss changing the subject a lil bit but wondering if you ever had anchor worm on your pike before...I just got him yesterday I never had to deal with it before but it looks like it could be anchor worm
Don't know if u can see it on the front face

20170120_134419.jpg

IMG_20170120_112753_699.jpg

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Hey boss changing the subject a lil bit but wondering if you ever had anchor worm on your pike before...I just got him yesterday I never had to deal with it before but it looks like it could be anchor worm
Don't know if u can see it on the front face

View attachment 1226354

View attachment 1226355
Sorry never had anchor worm on any of my pikes. Most pikes are quite resilient, the most common condition I hear afflicting them is HITH. Your pics unfortunately aren't clear enough for me to be sure what's happening but anchor worm should be easy to spot as their body hangs out of the body and are thread like. How ever I will note that from what I've heard Multispinosa can be very hard to maintain for a pike. Not given to the resiliency that others of their kind have.

I wanted them for myself and your gorgeous male reminds me just how bad. I had tried to source them but had no luck. A very well versed cichlid keeper as well as vendor related a tale to me of his last Multi import. All perished from unknown causes that he was unable to prevent. So bad have his loses been on Multi imports that he no longer attempts to bring them in. Still if you don't mind may I ask where you got him from? I'd have to try for myself. The only ones I've seen are on Wes/Rare Fish but he only has females.

Keemofish4ever

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2015
The Car
Sorry never had anchor worm on any of my pikes. Most pikes are quite resilient, the most common condition I hear afflicting them is HITH. Your pics unfortunately aren't clear enough for me to be sure what's happening but anchor worm should be easy to spot as their body hangs out of the body and are thread like. How ever I will note that from what I've heard Multispinosa can be very hard to maintain for a pike. Not given to the resiliency that others of their kind have.

I wanted them for myself and your gorgeous male reminds me just how bad. I had tried to source them but had no luck. A very well versed cichlid keeper as well as vendor related a tale to me of his last Multi import. All perished from unknown causes that he was unable to prevent. So bad have his loses been on Multi imports that he no longer attempts to bring them in. Still if you don't mind may I ask where you got him from? I'd have to try for myself. The only ones I've seen are on Wes/Rare Fish but he only has females.
I made a mistake and put "him" this one is a female and she is from Wes/Rare fish. I could be mistaken it might be nothing but it's does look white n jus slightly hanging out of its nose.. the pike is very active and already eating pellets (nls)

Reactions: mrrobxc

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I made a mistake and put "him" this one is a female and she is from Wes/Rare fish. I could be mistaken it might be nothing but it's does look white n jus slightly hanging out of its nose.. the pike is very active and already eating pellets (nls)
I was always told the males had the spots while females didn't. Maybe I heard wrong. Do you think it could be fungal? Does it look cotton like? Fungal infections often happen as secondaries to an injury. Any fish fighting? Or perhaps he crashed into an ornament.

Keemofish4ever

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2015
The Car
I was always told the males had the spots while females didn't. Maybe I heard wrong. Do you think it could be fungal? Does it look cotton like? Fungal infections often happen as secondaries to an injury. Any fish fighting? Or perhaps he crashed into an ornament.
She had a small scratch when I got her but the white on its face is not the same spot... no fighting since I got it no scratches obtained after either.... I jus hope if it is a parasite I can fix it fast so I have a chance.... I haven't had a fish die on me on a long time haha don't want this to one of them. Being male or female I wouldn't know the difference either just going off Wes saying it is a female. Wes knows better than me so Its female haha

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
She had a small scratch when I got her but the white on its face is not the same spot... no fighting since I got it no scratches obtained after either.... I jus hope if it is a parasite I can fix it fast so I have a chance.... I haven't had a fish die on me on a long time haha don't want this to one of them. Being male or female I wouldn't know the difference either just going off Wes saying it is a female. Wes knows better than me so Its female haha
Sorry jumpin back and forth between this and another forum. I wish I could help more but my fish usually die of predation by a tankmate if anything. Try the disease section, you might find some better help. And try to take a clearer picture to help it get diagnosed correctly. In the past i would've sent you right to Aquanero Aquanero but he isn't as active as he once was. Still hopefully he'll come on see the tag.

Keemofish4ever

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2015
The Car
Sorry jumpin back and forth between this and another forum. I wish I could help more but my fish usually die of predation by a tankmate if anything. Try the disease section, you might find some better help. And try to take a clearer picture to help it get diagnosed correctly. In the past i would've sent you right to Aquanero Aquanero but he isn't as active as he once was. Still hopefully he'll come on see the tag.
Will do thanks.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Could i keep them in a 240g with discus? And are they more comfortable in a pair ? Thank you as well kolt, this is my first experience with pike cichlids, i really appreciate the knowledge your providing!
I have mine as a bonded pair in a 180 with wild discus and wild altums. They are just about a foot long right now give or take.

Reactions: koltsixx

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Pikes are almost always wild caught and have to be broken off of live. Growth rates vary depending on species but I wouldn't say any of them grow especially fast.
I agree with koltsixx koltsixx . Pikes are easy to wean off of love. FD Krill is a good bridge to pellets. I would say they are rapid growers as long as they have clean water and good food.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Nice score. I was gonna scoop them both up but I like keeping my pikes as pairs and usually try to buy groups. These are touchy to keep as kolt mentioned. A guy on this site up in Canada has a group and you may reach out to him to see how he acclimated his. Good luck. Gorgeous multi!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store