New to Polypterus - Substrate Advice!

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
what color is the floramax ? Fish room needs its own theead bro
I'm actually blending a couple colors. It will be 2 parts volcanic red, 1 part original, and 1 part tan gravel mixed in. I figure that this will be a relatively red substrate, without being bright red, which I really don't like. I think it's gonna look nice. I'll post some pics once I have it mixed together.

I've been meaning to do a fish room thread but have been doing some work on my basement so have held off because it's been a construction zone and not very visually appealing. Originally it was my mancave with a couple tanks in it, but in the last 6 months I went from 2 tanks to 6 and the fish took over the room lol, so it got too loud to sit on a couch and play xbox, so I decided to separate the basement into a mancave and a fish room. Just finished sheetrocking and painting a new wall I put in and moved in that 300 gal, will be building a stand for my 125 tomorrow and then moving in the other tanks. I'll post pics of my progress on a thread soon.

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
lol at one point I realized I was collecting fish without caring about the room they were in, so over the last couple months I've been trying to make it a more permanent and appealing setting, hence the construction and tank upgrades, and the ridiculous amount of fish purchases haha. One last flurry of additions before I settle down a lot.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
That sounds awesome man congrats !! Yeah this needs its own thread ! You ahould post the pre and during construction pics too...show off all the hard work man

Where are you getting the floramax from

Is that stuff used for planting or can it be used on its own ?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Jealous! I need a lady cave filled with tanks.
I call foul !!! Lady cave ?.you guys run the whole house now...even our man caves never last as man caves...eventually its mancave/kids play room then it man corner/kids play room/wifes what ever room.

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
That sounds awesome man congrats !! Yeah this needs its own thread ! You ahould post the pre and during construction pics too...show off all the hard work man

Where are you getting the floramax from

Is that stuff used for planting or can it be used on its own ?
Yeah I'll post all the pics I have. Floramax is intended for planting but it can be used on its own from what I've read. But I plan on having a couple large plants in the back corners to add some splashes of color. And I got it off amazon. Had to order from a couple different vendors, for some reason nobody had a lot in stock

I call foul !!! Lady cave ?.you guys run the whole house now...even our man caves never last as man caves...eventually its mancave/kids play room then it man corner/kids play room/wifes what ever room.
Agreed! the whole point of the mancave is that we've been forced to retreat to the darkest depths of the house! I have drawn a hard line on my cave. My fiance at times has said too many tanks, and she's pretty cool about it, but you give an inch they take the room!

Last edited:

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Yeah I'll post all the pics I have. Floramax is intended for planting but it can be used on its own from what I've read. But I plan on having a couple large plants in the back corners to add some splashes of color. And I got it off amazon. Had to order from a couple different vendors, for some reason nobody had a lot in stock

Agreed! the whole point of the mancave is that we've been forced to retreat to the darkest depths of the house! I have drawn a hard line on my cave. My fiance at times has said too many tanks, and she's pretty cool about it, but you give an inch they take the room!

Hahahhhahab "hard line" yup thats stuff all cute qhile shes your fiance.

Lets revisit this in a few yrs lol

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
Hey guys, so I just yesterday realized the miracles of Rid-x, went out and bought some and have been doing reading on it (and sorta feeling dumb because I use it monthly on my septic and should've realized a long time ago that it works for aquariums). One thing I read is that when it decreases waste by breaking it down, it releases CO2. So my question is this: if
Rid-X increases the amount of carbon dioxide in the water, is it good for plants? Does anyone have any experience with plants and rid-x? it seems to me that it would feed the plants co2

Reactions: Polyaddict86

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Hey guys, so I just yesterday realized the miracles of Rid-x, went out and bought some and have been doing reading on it (and sorta feeling dumb because I use it monthly on my septic and should've realized a long time ago that it works for aquariums). One thing I read is that when it decreases waste by breaking it down, it releases CO2. So my question is this: if
Rid-X increases the amount of carbon dioxide in the water, is it good for plants? Does anyone have any experience with plants and rid-x? it seems to me that it would feed the plants co2
I would post the question directly to the thread. Rd usually answers or someone who know from hands on experience will answer.... in fact i have to ask a question on there too

Reactions: Polyaddict86
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store