240g Acrylic tank build thread (PIC HEAVY)

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
Just joined the site last week. Have actually read MFK for at least 2-3 yrs now but figured I'd finally join and share my current project I am working on. My basement in my house is home to my shop and office for a business I run building custom fishing rods, but it also home to all my tanks. I have numerous 75g tanks down there as well as a 125g frontosa tank. In my ever going quest for the ultimate man cave though it was time I got a new bigger tank project to work on. So right before Christmas I picked up a 240g Acrylic tank 6ft x 2ft x 30" tall.

First here's a few pics of the basement, the first pic is looking to the left when you go down the stairs, that section was mostly my office.

Then this pic is from the same spot just looking to the right hand side. You can see the shop is behind the wall where the tropheus tank is built into. I actually just built that tank into that wall not even two months ago, but when I got the new big tank I decided that wall had to go.

This is what that wall looked like from the backside.

As you can see in that pic the flooring and ceiling where different between the two rooms so once the wall came down there was a lot of remodeling to be done before the actual tank work could start.

That was all right before Christmas in that condition. Then a few days before Christmas my new 240g baby was brought in.

Then the morning of December 26th this is how that wall looked...

And then about 8 hrs later that night, I had a good start and I had the wall torn down.......

Then came ripping down the old 1960's cardboard tile ceiling.....

And replacing it with stained wood boards to match the rest of the ceiling.

And onto some paint work on the walls to match the rest.....

That was about 8 days ago. So after that then it was onto the floor and making it all match.

And finished the flooring about 4 days ago. All that is left of the remodel is about 18" of ceiling over where the big tank is going and pretty much the "remodeling" part will be done. So this is the current state as it is now tonight.

The good thing now is that since most the remodel work is done, that means I can finally get to actual tank work now. So starting probably sometime this week I will be getting all the wood to build the stand. My plans for the stand are to build it high enough so that a 20g xtra tall (24" tall) tank will fit into the stand in the center below the main 240g tank. In that 20g tall tank will be a 3d background (I make all my own 3d backgrounds) and it will also have a sand fall (waterfall) in that smaller tank. The small tank will ride on some heavy duty tool chest slides so I can pull it out for tank cleaning. The 240g tank will have a full 3d background as well as some blue cold cathode backlit caves which I have done on some of my other tanks in the past.

The stocking of the 240 will be all the haps you see in one of my 75g's in some of the pictures above. then the 75 g will be moved over for the trophs to give them more room.

Will post updates as I get further into the stand build this week hopefully.

Also since my fish were not shown in the pics very well, here's a short video of most of my fish. Only ones not in the vid are my trophs though, I just got them a couple months ago and the vid was shot before I got them.

Steve

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Welcome to MFK, Glad to see another member committed to giving his fish the proper care. Love the man cave, I'm jealous, wish I had a space like that. Keep us posted on the progress with lots of pictures, please.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Steve, there is so much to like, I don't even know where to start. I would never leave that space.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
Thanks guys. Does anyone have any input on how thick & type of plywood to use under a 240g acrylic tank? Didn't know if the standard 5/8" $23 plywood would be fine, or if I needed to get the 3/4" marine grade which is about double that price:confused:

I'm also trying to decide if I should put foam under the tank or just flat on the plywood top? I searched here on MFK and found various threads on that subject, but even the ones that were 10 pages long never seemed to give a clear yes of no on that. Seemed like some guys say yes to foam and some say no.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Thanks guys. Does anyone have any input on how thick & type of plywood to use under a 240g acrylic tank? Didn't know if the standard 5/8" $23 plywood would be fine, or if I needed to get the 3/4" marine grade which is about double that price:confused:

I'm also trying to decide if I should put foam under the tank or just flat on the plywood top? I searched here on MFK and found various threads on that subject, but even the ones that were 10 pages long never seemed to give a clear yes of no on that. Seemed like some guys say yes to foam and some say no.
Not sure if there is one close to you, but my local Home Depot had cabinet grade 22/32 plywood for $29.99. It's routable and very smooth. Not sure about the foam, I have never thought it necessary unless the entire bottom panel is in contact with the stand surface.

Reactions: Steve_C

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
Thanks for heads up on the cabinet grade wood. I have a HD only 2 miles from here, seems I am either at HD or Lowes at least once a week these days lol. Had not seen the $29 sheet there but I will stop in this week and see if they have it here.

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
Awesome video
Your setups look really cool, you did a great job with that man cave

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
Well got about 6 hours into the stand build for the 240g tonight. Still have a lot to do to it such as add center uprights and then doubling up 2x4's in between the upper & lowers sections etc etc. Building it so the vertical posts are supporting the weight and no weight on fasteners and such. About halfway there so far with it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store