Tank Crashed, arowana went quickly.

arowanaman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Vandergrift, PA
So second large arowana I lost from a crash, not sure what happened, tank is all automated
Replaced the socks 1-2x a week
Not exactly sure what happened, had actually cut back on feeding for the winter, i lower the tank a few degrees over the month of december, then cut back to feeding 2-3x a week, instead of every other day.

Done this for a few years.
So everything is normal:
December 29th
december 28.jpg
Few weeks after this picture, he starts to develop these red sores, can't find anything about it online, was late just got home from work, looked like he had been fighting, so did a water change, (its all automated so I just push a button and the plc does the rest), added the dechlorinater, i treat 3x because we have high chloramine, 425 gallons total volume. Usually change 50-100% over a day or two.

Come down the next day and spots had gotten huge, did a little research added some seachem antibotics for exterior infections (forget the name) I used before to treat the redhooks I had gotten a few months back.

Come home the next day and he has gotten worse
January 11th.jpg
Well I panic, read some more online, decide to start adding salt. Added minimal was going to add slowly over next few days, added around 1/2 cup, to the sump slowly over the course of maybe 20-30 minute.

He seems to perk up and is swimming straight again (previously had been sitting in the same spot since I got home). Well wake up the next day, and he appears to be doing great, still all banged up (not sure what happened) but swimming, and acting normal.

Well around lunch time wife calls me at work says he looks all swollen, eyes sunk in, skin falling off. She thinks its from carbon, and I'm like I don't use carbon....then it clicks, i prefilter my water changes through carbon, hadnt changed them this quarter...so I freak a little do some research, still not sure if it is it. Should of tested for amonia, but honestly hadn't ever had it test positive on this setup (algae scrubber, pothos, planted sump) should of tested. No other fish seemed to be effected. Of the ones I kept (a bichir, catfish, 2 bristle nose, 1 rainbow cichlid, 1 clown loach) only other fish to die was the clown loach, and the upside down cat, looked to have that same skin falling off, stress coat shedding appearance.

So running home and she calls to tell me, don't bother he is dead. Well I do have a few other fish in with him, so figured I'd pull him out, and do a big water change. Decided to forgo the automation and carbon filter, and drained half the tank, and filled it from a hose. Other fish seemed uneffected except for an upside down cat and a clown loach, which seemed to have the pealing skin/stress coat.
So ......
january 12th.jpg
He is dead. 25" long and had been very healthy up until three days ago, was eating great, swam great, great personality, should of given him more attention, maybe I could of stopped his death.

So at this point, am done with the tank. Removed all the fish, took 90% back to the store, moved the others to grow out tanks in my fish room. And at the moment, we are going to plant it.

I do have another silver i was growing out, but not sure if I would do this again. Thinking maybe a Jardini next time, heard they were healthier. Really not sure what went wrong. Should of done a full water quality test. Idk.

Maybe he was chasing a smaller fish and got tore up on all the massive drift wood, idk. Still not sure. Wanted to bury him, but ended up throwing him out in the trash....

Had a huge chunk missing in his back, looked similar to a cichlid I had before that got tore up.

Pretty tore up about the loss, spent ungodly amount of money in care, food, housing. Should of just kept him alone, barebottom with no decorations or other fish.

Well I am giving into the family. Have some south american lungfish i have been growing out with a ghost shrimp and apistogramma colony for the last year. Going to heavily plant this tank, and put in a few 100 ghost shrimp with 30 or so apisto's and the 2 south american lungfish.

Not sure yet. Might give up monster fish for a little and just focus on some nano fish. Idk.
Have a pretty good collection of them. Did get rid of quite a few this past weekend. Was going to get rid of all of them and just start over. Might even just play the planted tank thing for a bit, then sell this tank, and start completely fresh.

Had it built just for the silver, but have found a few thing I don't care for and would change.

Well thanks for reading my rant, not sure where else to post this. Don't think too many other people understand how you get attached to a fish.....

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Sorry for the loss.

Dee eng

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2015
Cambodia
Sorry for your lost bro...it sucks and I/we understand, trust me. Now go gets another and in a year time he/she will be 20+. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store