The Use of Probiotics in Aquaculture

Ethan59

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2016
OK I'm up to 2 cups a week of rid-x in a 300 gallon tank 85 fish tropheus plus 10 assorted cool plecos . I still need more, my Demetrius is down 60-70 % but my filters 3 filters one sump 2 pumps 700 gpn plus 2 eheim filters 2262 in 5 gallon containers get real real dirty have to clean every 2 months . I did think the filters would be cleaner due to rid-x but nothing is perfect I'm happy as a clam with results

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Been dosing with ridx for over a year now and have no plans to stop but have a question that i cant directly attribute to ridx but was wondering if anyone else encountered this.

I noticed that i have to clean my glass allot latley guesstimate would be once or twice a month.tanks are in the basement and do not get any sun light. Its almost like a white film not that big of a deal but was wondering it it could be attributed to the ridx.

Reactions: pcfriedrich

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
New to using rid-x (and other septic probiotics) and have done some reading on it recently, including a lot of this thread. I think it was toward the beginning of this thread I saw that someone stated their nitrates were down along with detritus buildup, and that rid-x did this by breaking it down, which released CO2. I was just curious of how this affects plants? Since plants consume CO2, does that mean that rid-x effectively feeds plants, and maybe eliminates the need (or at lease reduces the need) for a CO2 diffuser? Would be a pretty great aspect of using septic probiotics. Any help would be appreciated!

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
That would be an interesting effect indeed. I'm also wondering how that would work

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I think I asked this question in this thread before and if it was answered, then I missed it.
When first using the rid-X I just added the powder into a tank. This was a lot of solid material into the tank. To try and fix this I began to mix the rid-X in a jar of warm water and allowed it to sit a few hours. I then strained it thru a coffee filter to collect the solids and poured the liquid into my tank.

My question being is this an acceptable way to add rid-X?

If you do it some other way, will you describe your method?

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
I just started using it, but the method I'm using is from other members advice. You just put it in a mesh bag and hang it in the water. Then every couple hours squeeze the bag to release the bacteria that's in the bran. Let it soak it in the water overnight and give it one more squeeze and you're good

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Hello; I think I asked this question in this thread before and if it was answered, then I missed it.
When first using the rid-X I just added the powder into a tank. This was a lot of solid material into the tank. To try and fix this I began to mix the rid-X in a jar of warm water and allowed it to sit a few hours. I then strained it thru a coffee filter to collect the solids and poured the liquid into my tank.

My question being is this an acceptable way to add rid-X?

If you do it some other way, will you describe your method?
I use a fine mesh bag... squeeze the heck out of it through out the day on wc day. Then remove that night or ext morning... probably would be enough to just get the tank nice and cloudy and remove right away too.

Either let it sit in the sump or in the tank in the direction of the returns

Reactions: Ethan59

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
When I was using the septic brands (similar to Rid-X) I would mix the bacteria and the bran base in a container of tank water. Shake it up real good, and repeat over the course of a few hours. Then I would allow the solids to settle, and carefully pour everything but the solids into my tanks.

The product that I currently use dissolves on contact. http://www.bactri.com/

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
When I was using the septic brands (similar to Rid-X) I would mix the bacteria and the bran base in a container of tank water. Shake it up real good, and repeat over the course of a few hours. Then I would allow the solids to settle, and carefully pour everything but the solids into my tanks.

The product that I currently use dissolves on contact. http://www.bactri.com/

Neil any thought on my comment about having to clean my glass more ? Thinknit could be attributed to the ridx or unrelated ? Maybe oversosing at this point and can cut it back a bit

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store