Splitting up some CA

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
I have 6 carpintis, 4 meeki, and 2 salvini in a 75 and need to split them up. I have procrastinated on doing it, because it involved setting up another tank and figuring out what to put where. There are 2 carpintis pairs(one with fry) and I believe one meeki pair. Both salvini are female, but do not get along. One big issue is once I start removing fish, it is going to be very difficult to maintain pairs. I can use egg crate lighting to section off the breeding carpintis, but the rest will surely get jumbled up so I was thinking first separate them by species. The tanks available are the 75, 110 39x24x27, and a 55 with 2 5" bichir. What would you do? Setting up another 55 is a possibility, but I would really prefer not to right now.

The 110 and 55

The fish

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
I would... get rid of the salvini, throw the meeki in the 55, and the carpintis in the 110 until you ween out your fave carpintis pair or harem if possible.
Thanks, I ended up leaving the actively breeding pair of carpintis in the 75, moving the 4 meeki, 2 carpintis, and 1 salvini into the 110. What I believe are the other pair of carpintis and the remaining salvini are going in the 55 with the bichir. I'll just have to keep an eye on things and see how it goes, but it has to be better than having them all together. I hope.

Reactions: cichlidfish

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
That's good bro your lucky to even have spare tanks to work things out. You can always just move things around until you finally make something work

Reactions: robham777

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
That's good bro your lucky to even have spare tanks to work things out. You can always just move things around until you finally make something work
I should probably space them out more, but I really want to rearrange everything in the fish room, and each tank I set up is another one I will have to move. I actually went an looked at a 210 gallon 7x2x2 today and will probably try and pick it up some time this week. Last one I swear.......

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Of course one of the carpintis I added to the 110 is totally disrupting the tank and the salvini has vanished. The carpintis may have to take it's chances with with my jag grow out or my small oscar, and I think the salvini is in a split in the driftwood. The fish in the 55 are doing good so far, no signs of aggression. Some of the fish will likely have to go at some point, but I wanted to grow them out a bit more before I made that call.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Seems to be going reasonably well. The 55 that housed the bichir is quite peaceful with them, 2carpintis, and salvini. The salvini shadowed the delhezi for a bit, just swimming alongside it for a while. Now it completely ignores it . The 110 has settled down as well, still a little chasing going on, but nothing that concerns me at this time. The pair in the 75 are busy taking care of fry.

Reactions: ehh

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I wouldn't mind a big square tank like the one you have.

Reactions: robham777

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
I wouldn't mind a big square tank like the one you have.
I really like it now that I set it up. I would have never looked at a tank with those dimensions since I typically prefer lower tanks for maintenance reasons, but am very glad I ran across this one. I do have to stand on something to easily reach the bottom even on a 30" stand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store