Stocking a 125 gallon predator tank

SHADY FARMER

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2017
So this is my first time ever posting on a forum so howdy! I've recently bought a standard 125 gallon tank and I've been kicking around the idea of a predator tank, mostly because I have 35 gallon quickly reaching maximum capacity of live bearers ( Mollies, Guppies, Swordies ) I really like the idea of using feeders I've raised and the fact that I think this tank could probably keep up with with the predators hunger.

I'm looking for fish that I can keep in this tank for the remainder of there life, I don't really plan on getting another tank any larger. What I originally imagined was a "Community Predator Tank" but now I'm kind of drawing blank for ideas... What's your idea of a CPT?

All species of Arowana and Gar will out grow this tank, correct?

Gulper cats?
Dragon Goby or an eel of some sort?
Bichir?
Red Tailed Barracuda?

What's everyone's thoughts?

Yohanon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Tennessee
A mota cichlid would be interesting and aggressive. If piranha are legal where you live, a elongatus would be interesting.

SHADY FARMER

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2017
I'm just worried about cichlids and piranhas being to aggressive to whatever else I decide to put in there, I would like some larger cats ( still leaning toward Gulpers and or Raphael ) and Bichirs ( only because i want eels but the only ones that would fit in this tank are peaceful ) I do think some Red Tail Cudas or pike would look nice in there to, not sure if all that together is compatible... although a red tiger would really add some color.

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
Gulpers are very awesome and would be fine in a tank that size, but keep in mind that they can eat fish up to 2x their size, so they're not very good for community tanks. Bichirs are also very awesome and there are several species, particularly the "upper jaw" varieties, that would be fine for life in a 125. As for the arowanas and gars, you're right in thinking that they'll outgrow the tank.

Reactions: magpie

SHADY FARMER

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2017
Gulpers are very awesome and would be fine in a tank that size, but keep in mind that they can eat fish up to 2x their size, so they're not very good for community tanks. Bichirs are also very awesome and there are several species, particularly the "upper jaw" varieties, that would be fine for life in a 125. As for the arowanas and gars, you're right in thinking that they'll outgrow the tank.
I guess that's one of my questions, There is really no fish I can keep in a 125 that will be 2x the size of a full grown gulper?

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
I guess that's one of my questions, There is really no fish I can keep in a 125 that will be 2x the size of a full grown gulper?
Unfortunately I don't think so. Add to that the fact that gulpers grow very slowly, any predator that starts out more than 2x their size might outgrow them and eventually eat them.

Reactions: magpie

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
+1 on the upper jaw bichir

Dehelzi, retro, palmas palmas, gold dust, moke, sen, palmas polli could live happily in that tank

Reactions: magpie and kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store