MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I have a 55 gal planted this is the current info:
Temp 78 F
ammonia 0
nitrate 0
nitrate 0
light 1x t12 6000k 34w (med - low par) and a window
marineland magnum 350 running with no media. powers a reverse undergravel filter and a nozzle at the surface for water agitation
5L DIY yeast co2
substrate playsand mixed with fancy planted tank stuff and lava rock
decor 3 caves made of petrified wood
plants some spiral val and christmas moss will add natives in the spring
fish 13x praecox / dwarf neon rainbows 10x feeder guppies 1x female fancy guppy
some pest snails friends! I don't want to do anything either to encourage them or get rid of them)
some dying ghost shrimp (need RO or rainwater & its winter now. Should've done more research. bad pipes.)
I also have 30 fancy guppy fry that may go in there when they get older.
Anyway, I want more fish.
I want something big for 1) a centerpiece and 2) to scare the rainbows a little and make them school.
I also want a bottom feeder an alternative to a school of cories maybe
I can make the guppies disappear if need be but would rather not to.
My tank is not well covered - I already turned down the khulis I wanted.
I like Clown Loaches, but they are $15 -25 each around here $125+ for a school!

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I forgot to mention: the praecox are juvies barely more the an inch long now, but I want my center piece to grow with them (no dwarf gourami! I did that already when they become the smallest fish in the tank they look mighty stupid.)
Everyone is healthy, active eating etc.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
You can add few Boesemani Rainbow and some corys (rare cories species is expensive), later on your fancy will keep breeding and fill your tank and make it active, fun to watch. I can't think of any center piece fish that leave other fish alone and not eating your fancy guppies. Sometime we fish keepers need to learn and think about "enough is enough" before headache or everything falling a part cause we wanted more... :)

Reactions: magpie

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Boesemani won't eat the fancy guppies and terrorise everything else? Aren't they like big danios? I had a few giant danios once and they nipped, devoured and generally terrorized their tankmates until my channelcat grew big enought to eat them.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Boesemani won't eat the fancy guppies and terrorise everything else? Aren't they like big danios? I had a few giant danios once and they nipped, devoured and generally terrorized their tankmates until my channelcat grew big enought to eat them.
At max size 4" they might eat the baby guppies (most fish will eat baby guppies even fancy guppy males will eat them too if they have a change). Like I said in previous post that hard to think and find fishes that leave your guppies alone though. If you love guppy then just enjoy it as it and watch your guppy colony grow over time.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I'm not worried about the guppies so much as the praecox. Those giant danios (also 4") ripped up my black skirt tetras, goldfish and even my silver dollars. (Not all at the same time) I was not sorry to see them go

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Maybe a couple of discus?
If I can afford them. The last time I saw discus at an lfs, they wanted $80 a piece for 5" fish that had big eyes (stunted). If only. Also, will the rainbows pick on them?

Fish on Fire

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Visalia/Berkeley, California
If I can afford them. The last time I saw discus at an lfs, they wanted $80 a piece for 5" fish that had big eyes (stunted). If only. Also, will the rainbows pick on them?
I've seen smaller discus, around 3", for around $20-40. Just gotta look around.

Your options are really limited because of the fact that it's a planted tank. Hard to come up with a decent sized fish that won't tear your aquascape up. Pretty much the only things I can think of are a group of altum angels or discus.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
What's wrong with good ol' scalare? I was worried they might be nippy, but maybe....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store