Mbielek

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
Hello all, so i had major algae bloom in my 75g tank that ive been battling for a couple weeks. It all started with me putting in an algae wafer for my plec to eat, and im sure because he didnt eat it all, it caused some cloudy water that i didnt like. With me being impatient, i took out about 50% of the water right away and replaced it. The next thing i know the bloom goes grows out of control and my tank turned green. Over the past few days most recently, ive finally balanced the water out again because i realized i needed to take out and replace little amounts of water day by day. I was instructed to dose with a bottle of "good bacteria" given to me by the owner of the fish store i go to. He also told me to turn my lights off for a few days and stop feeding to kill the algae and just wait it out. The algae died off a couple days ago, and he gave me a small bottle of water clarifier called "acurel". The instructions on the bottle say add one drop per gallon of water, so i did so everyday for about two days. At last, crystal clear water has returned to my tank and i couldnt be happier. But today, i get home from school and i see a slight haze starting to come back into my water and am not sure what move to make at this point, all i want is for my water to remain clear without having to put anymore chemicals or clarifiers in. Does anybody have any suggestions on the best way to fix this problem? Thanks!

Mvrenko

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
Hello all, so i had major algae bloom in my 75g tank that ive been battling for a couple weeks. It all started with me putting in an algae wafer for my plec to eat, and im sure because he didnt eat it all, it caused some cloudy water that i didnt like. With me being impatient, i took out about 50% of the water right away and replaced it. The next thing i know the bloom goes grows out of control and my tank turned green. Over the past few days most recently, ive finally balanced the water out again because i realized i needed to take out and replace little amounts of water day by day. I was instructed to dose with a bottle of "good bacteria" given to me by the owner of the fish store i go to. He also told me to turn my lights off for a few days and stop feeding to kill the algae and just wait it out. The algae died off a couple days ago, and he gave me a small bottle of water clarifier called "acurel". The instructions on the bottle say add one drop per gallon of water, so i did so everyday for about two days. At last, crystal clear water has returned to my tank and i couldnt be happier. But today, i get home from school and i see a slight haze starting to come back into my water and am not sure what move to make at this point, all i want is for my water to remain clear without having to put anymore chemicals or clarifiers in. Does anybody have any suggestions on the best way to fix this problem? Thanks!
Hope someone can help with your problem

Reactions: Mbielek

cichla81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2008
heaven is my home
I will put money on it that it's an ammonia spike. What's your ammonia level? I'm assuming since you added bacteria, the tank wasn't cycled?

Mbielek

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
I will put money on it that it's an ammonia spike. What's your ammonia level? I'm assuming since you added bacteria, the tank wasn't cycled?
Never actually tested with a kit, so my parameters are unknown. And the tank has been cycled, I've had it up and running very well for about 5 months. The recent algae bloom/bacterial bloom has been the only problem I've come across. I had beneficial bacteria visibly growing on biomedia cartridges inside my emperor 400 filter, and I sort of messed up big time by purging my filter with the aqueoun siphon hose I use for my changes, I immediately regretted using the hose to purge my filter because all the beneficial bacteria (or a good majority of it) washed off my cartridge into my tank. That's when I rapidly tried to remove it cuz it was a mess of floating debri and that probably threw a lot of things off. I realized this too late though and now I'm trying to regrow that beneficial bacteria.

cichla81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2008
heaven is my home
The majority of people on here would say to Dose your aquarium with Prime and keep doing 20-30% water changes daily til your bacteria catches back up

Reactions: Mbielek

Mbielek

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
The majority of people on here would say to Dose your aquarium with Prime and keep doing 20-30% water changes daily til your bacteria catches back up
I agree with that plan, that's what I'll do. Thanks for the input!!

Reactions: cichla81

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
What you washed off in to your tank was likely diatoms. The bacteria doesn't form into any sort of substance that is visible. You need to get a test kit, and I would really recommend a filter upgrade. Odds are that your fish are outgrowing the capacity of the penguin.

Mbielek

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
What you washed off in to your tank was likely diatoms. The bacteria doesn't form into any sort of substance that is visible. You need to get a test kit, and I would really recommend a filter upgrade. Odds are that your fish are outgrowing the capacity of the penguin.
It's not the penguin, it's two emperor 400s with the biowheels, both certified for up to 80 gallon tanks. Filtration is definitely not the problem, I know that for sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store