7 Deadly Sins Tank Theme

Renegade Aquatics

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2016
Everett, WA
So I was fantasizing about random fish tank plans, and when I got an idea for a 7 deadly sins tank theme. Basically the idea is to a tank with 7 fish, with each fish corresponding with each of the 7 deadly sins. However despite coming up with the theme, I only have a general idea on what things would fit each sin. So if you were setting up a tank with this theme; would you go fresh or salt water? What size tank you use? What fish would you stock to represent each sin?
My idea was: a freshwater tank with some sort of catfish species to represent gluttony (I guess sloth would work as well), Creni. compressiceps to represent wrath, maybe a livebarer to represent lust, perhaps a loach species to represent greed, maybe some green tiger barbs or some other green fish to present envy and then for pride I couldn't really think of anything.
Keep in mind this thread isn't supposed to be taken seriously, its just a fun little idea I thought I'd put out to see other people's ideas.
So what are your ideas for this theme?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
For pride i guess you would need something like a betta thats willing to flare at anything... that would kind of fit the bill of vanity..,

Oh and definitely a gulper catfish for gluttony...

Just no idea how you would be able to keep all in one tank lol...

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
lust - i say a female cichlid of sort as they breed with any other male cichlid breed
causing hybridization even in the wild.

gluttony- definitely the gulper but a red tail cat could work also imo.

envy - dont really know about this one... but i think a sa/ca cichlid could
work as they are very personable fish.

wrath - i would go with a aimara or something highly aggressive, rhom & etc.

pride - i would choose a arowana or ray for this as in many hobbyist aquariums
one of these are their prized fish that they have pride in owning.

greed - i think a turtle will fit this nicely as most of them are pretty greedy eaters
and also eat a lot so it can also work for gluttony.

sloth - this guarantee a goby of sorts maybe the marbled goby. they only move to
eat and literary just sit one spot all day and night... there are some other species
of fish that will work but went with goby just cause it popped into my head first lol.

or you can make the theme using the animals they represent...

greed = toad - toadfish or another fish similar in name/looks.

envy = snake - a species of eel or a reed fish will fit this bill easily.

wrath = lion - for sw tank this would be east since there's the lion fish
but for fw not sure maybe the stone fish or as i mentioned above a
aimara or something highly aggressive.

sloth = snail - you can just throw some snails in lol or marble goby or something as
i mentioned above.

glottony = pig - gulper or pig perchbut i think pig perch is sw?... dont remember.

lust = goat - i have no clue for this one lol

pride = peacock - easy... peacock bass... lol

Renegade Aquatics

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2016
Everett, WA
Arowana was my first idea for pride,my idea was to try and stick to some smaller fish which is why I didn't put it on the list. Maybe an African butterfly fish could work as well, I do like the beta though.

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
Arowana was my first idea for pride,my idea was to try and stick to some smaller fish which is why I didn't put it on the list. Maybe an African butterfly fish could work as well, I do like the beta though.
i think a male betta could work, a butterfly fish is a weak candidate imo.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
Sloth: Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps (sail find pleco)
Lust: aequidens pulcher (electric blue acara)
Wrath: hypsophrys nicaraguensis (nicaraguan cichlid)
Pride: pterophyllum scalare (angel fish)
Envy: Symphysodon aequifasciatus (discus)
Greed: Melanoides tuberculata (malaysian trumpet snail)
Gluttony: osteoglossum bichirrosum (silver arowana)

And this group would actually work ;)

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
Sloth: Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps (sail find pleco)
Lust: aequidens pulcher (electric blue acara)
Wrath: hypsophrys nicaraguensis (nicaraguan cichlid)
Pride: pterophyllum scalare (angel fish)
Envy: Symphysodon aequifasciatus (discus)
Greed: Melanoides tuberculata (malaysian trumpet snail)
Gluttony: osteoglossum bichirrosum (silver arowana)

And this group would actually work ;)
you sure about that? the cichlids will most likely harras the angel fish
and discus not to mention eat the snails. not to mention the silver aro
could also eat the snails and fish if its larger than the other fish. and can
you explain how u came up with this list? just curious.

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
you sure about that? the cichlids will most likely harras the angel fish
and discus not to mention eat the snails. not to mention the silver aro
could also eat the snails and fish if its larger than the other fish. and can
you explain how u came up with this list? just curious.
All of the fish in the group are relatively peaceful, but will also not put up with being bullied. Keep in mind that angels are cichlids too. My angels were always quick to put a fish in their place if they got too aggressive. My silver arowana never showed the slightest interest in the horde of trumpet snails I had. Also, all of the fish in the list get too big for the silver to eat. Angels, discus, and the sail fin pleco are pretty much inedible from the start due to body shape and the nicaraguan and acara are to big for the aro to swallow once they grow up. They couldn't all be put together at once, but as adults this would work. My only concern would be the nics beating up on the aro, but they usually stay at the bottom whereas the aro stays at the top. Never had a problem keeping them together. And thats where I really get the list. I've kept all of those fish in one tank before.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
All of the fish in the group are relatively peaceful, but will also not put up with being bullied. Keep in mind that angels are cichlids too. My angels were always quick to put a fish in their place if they got too aggressive. My silver arowana never showed the slightest interest in the horde of trumpet snails I had. Also, all of the fish in the list get too big for the silver to eat. Angels, discus, and the sail fin pleco are pretty much inedible from the start due to body shape and the nicaraguan and acara are to big for the aro to swallow once they grow up. They couldn't all be put together at once, but as adults this would work. My only concern would be the nics beating up on the aro, but they usually stay at the bottom whereas the aro stays at the top. Never had a problem keeping them together. And thats where I really get the list. I've kept all of those fish in one tank before.
fair enough but how were they selected for each role like why is discus envy and angel
pride and etc.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
fair enough but how were they selected for each role like why is discus envy and angel
pride and etc.
Honestly that's just my personal opinion from keeping these fish and observing their personality, and what people think of them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store