Will anaerobic pockets form in loose thin layer of substrate?

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
I just removed all my substrate to add some new stuff. only did a very thin layer about .5"

I had a fine sand mix before and it was forming pockets quickly and I didn't want to have to worry about it. The new stuff in a much larger grain gravel type substrate. I am pretty sure it won't be an issue now but I just wanted to hear some other opinions.

Thanks.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
I guess I should buy a gravel vac, I never used one previously because the sand I used before was super lightweight and would just get all sucked up.

Before that I had a planted tank and didn't need to vac the substrate.

I guess no matter how thin and coarse the substrate is you still gotta vacuum it right?

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
You are doing the right thing. Unless you want to grow plants, a thin substrate barely enough to cover the bottom is adequate. Aerobic BB live only in the top 1/2 inch and any thicker substrate will only create anaerobic pockets. Having a thin substrate is better than bare bottom because it makes the fish feel safer, and increases the total surface area for BB many times. I prefer gravel size around 1 mm, large enough to hide detritus which I can vac out in WC, yet not too small to be sucked out.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
The bigger your grain size, the deeper you can go before you need to worry. Look up DSB arguments for saltwater. Saltwater i worse as it holds less oxygen, but the idea is the same and they do serious testing and have actual safe deoth numbers for different grain sizes

SK13

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2017
With a thin layer of bigger grain-size gravel, I do not think air pockets will be an issue.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
Thanks for your input.

Either way, with the sand fully out of the equation now, I can easily move and clean the substrate with no issues.

It's just thick enough to not have the glass bottom show. I am thinking of using a turkey baster during water changes to get all the mulm up and into the water column. Should be easy enough.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
You may have some issues with your fish digging down too the glass and leaving you bare spots, even with gravel. I had this happen with 1" of gravel in a goldfish tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store