My Wels Catfish (silurus glanis) albino

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
You sound like a European wels catfish farmer :) I'd like to read more of where this info came from. Sounds like I'd learn a lot.
Aquaculture is intriguing, something I like to read about.

If they were not banned, baber catfish (sharpttooth) would be interesting yet inherently ugly

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
So is it safe to share pictures, if we bought one before the ban? Is the ban just on import and moving them? Still legal to own and share pictures?

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Mine came from Wes, too, if I recall. Also albino. Mine got bumps on his back 2 springs in a row, perhaps like the ones you described earlier in this thread. But they never came back again, perhaps the parasites grew old and died without a host to complete the cycle.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Mine came from Wes, too, if I recall. Also albino. Mine got bumps on his back 2 springs in a row, perhaps like the ones you described earlier in this thread. But they never came back again, perhaps the parasites grew old and died without a host to complete the cycle.
You just can't import them from what I understand.

Reactions: knifegill

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
So is it safe to share pictures, if we bought one before the ban? Is the ban just on import and moving them? Still legal to own and share pictures?
Perfectly fine to share pictures/own/post about after the "ban". It's just classified under the lacey act which does ban the import of the species but its not an all out ban meaning that you can own the fish IF purchased before the ban. What the lacey act also does is ban you from transporting the fish to the state other than the state in which it was initially kept prior to the ban. Also it prevents you from selling to someone in another state. Basically in simple terms yes its allowed to own the fish and display proudly just don't transport it over state lines.

I have all the import paperwork on mine so I'm covered if I should face any issues.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Lo-o-o-o-ong time no see, Knifegill. Great to see you around. And you got a wels! Do you have a thread on yours or will you remain lurking? :)

Michael, have you sold yours or what happened? 14 months without an update is cruel.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Michael, have you sold yours or what happened? 14 months without an update is cruel.
Still have mine although I've tossed around the idea of getting rid of him due to tight times, although I would never forgive myself for that so I have persuaded myself to do my best to never ever sell him. As far as never coming back to update this thread, I just kind of faded out from social media and forums from the fish keeping aspect. With youtubw booming and the fish keeping hobby expanding and growing in general The sense of community was kinda lost for me. Became more stressful than relaxing for me. Seemed like on every Facebook group or forum I was a part of someone was always trying to 1 up the next guy or tell him why he was wrong, or offer advice and misinformation when they had only just started the hobby themselves. So I just been off of the forums and groups the past several months. Aside from bi-weelky 50% waterchanges on all my tanks and the occasional filter clean I haven't done much in the hobby the past several months. No new fish no new equipment and no real desire to get back into it like I once was...however, I have been lurking and checking in here and there. As for the wels again, yes I still have him. I would be up for possibly making and posting an update video in a couple days. I have since moved him from the 340gallon acrylic tank into a 10 ft x 6ft x 3 ft pool pond inside my garage. Yes it's only a temporary solution. However it's fully operational and fully cycled and seasoned. I ran it for 3 or 4 months with small koi to get it established prior making sure no chemical had leeched into the water from the liner etc. My family and I are planning to move in the next year or so (yes within our state) so there was no sense in me investing more money into a more permanent build at the moment. When all is said and done i want to order some very thick acrylic for viewing windows and build a 16ft×8ft×4ft plywood tank for him. Yes that would probably be a tank in which he lives in for a decade or more.....unless I built a in ground backyard pond larger. I dont anticipate him getting over 8 ft in captivity or at least not for years and years to come (20+). So that should suffice for a while. I've also been keeping the water a little on the cool side 67-70 Fahrenheit since I didn't want him to outgrow the 340 before I had the pool ready. I will eventually ease him back up to about 74-76 degrees through as now he should be able to put on a couple more feet with the extra room. He is currently between 32-35 inches. I do not care to get an exact measurement as it's not worth it to me to stress him out and measure him. I also wanted to get a weight on him by holding him in a fish sling and attaching a scale. Again though I didn't want to stress him. I'm sure he is 3-4 lbs? Idk. Anyways keep an eye open for a post with an update video. I might forget, but I will see if I can get a decent update of him. I appreciate you following for so long. Much respect to you. I want to see an update of your wels too!!!! Didn't you have a couple? Or at least one?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store