Marineland Emperor 400 biowheel filter:

Mbielek

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
Hi all, I am currently running two emperor 400s in my 75 gallon freshwater. right now one of the filters is just using back to back standard blue padded filter pads with carbon bits inside. the other filter has the first line of filtration as the standard filter pad, and then i have filled the biomedia cartridges with some ceramic rings and other small bio rock pieces and a few bio balls in the mix. Am i using these filters correctly? should i be using the biomedia cartidges on both filters, or are the biowheels enough.

Reactions: Mvrenko

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
IMO, you're better off relying on HOB filters as your mechanical filtration and use canisters and sponge filters for more of your bio media. Don't stress over bio media for a HOB.

Reactions: Mbielek

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I would set both up similarly. Blue mechanical pads at the first stage, then bio-media in the trays in the second stage.
Kensfish.com sells an after market replacement blue pads for those hob at a very cheap price. Get the ones without the activated carbon......you don't need to use activated carbon.

Slim2634

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
Central Ohio
IMO, you're better off relying on HOB filters as your mechanical filtration and use canisters and sponge filters for more of your bio media. Don't stress over bio media for a HOB.
I disagree. I've had pristine water in a heavily stocked 75 gallon with two HOBs. It's better, yes but he doesn't need to go buy an additional filter.

Just do what you're doing. The additional bio media should do great.

Mbielek

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
I disagree. I've had pristine water in a heavily stocked 75 gallon with two HOBs. It's better, yes but he doesn't need to go buy an additional filter.

Thanks so much!! Will do.

Reactions: Slim2634

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY

With AC filters I completely agree. That's what I prefer in terms of HOBs as well, but the OP was talking about Marineland biowheels. I've used them and would rather have a root canal than have them again. Lots of media holding capability with Aquaclear HOBs.

Slim2634

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
Central Ohio
With AC filters I completely agree. That's what I prefer in terms of HOBs as well, but the OP was talking about Marineland biowheels. I've used them and would rather have a root canal than have them again. Lots of media holding capability with Aquaclear HOBs.
There is still a fair amount of room for extra media.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store