Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto
I say female also and I don't see anything wrong with the gills In those pics

Ryan029

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Colorado
Personally, I think a 125 would be bare minimum for either male or female. For a pair, I'd look at something like a 240 or 265.
Glad you mentioned this. I actually went out and picked up a new tank yesterday! Now it's still not a 'forever home' for the red terror regardless of it's sex, but it's a 60 gallon which is sufficient for the foreseeable future in my opinion (keeping in mind that my red terror is not yet even 4 inches).

I say female also and I don't see anything wrong with the gills In those pics
Thank you for looking! Since the move, which happened last night, my little red terror has really darkened up even more, the JD and red terror were definitely cramping each other in the 40 gallon, no small wonder. Here are some new pics, it's only my second time 'jump' starting a tank but I did it with no issues to my african cichlid tank about 2 months ago, still feels like 'cheating' though lol

2017021995092818.jpg

2017021995092629.jpg

Ryan029

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Colorado
As far as sexing them.. I've seen people say they can sex them at 2-3" lol well that may be true in some cases but not all and definitely not a sure thing with Festae. Both males and females will bar up and can also lose their bars pending mood. The dark dorsal thing only plays true for a female when there's a permanent spot in or right below the their dorsal. And when the mood is right females will darken the first 2/3rds of their dorsal along with anal fin. Males dorsals can darken too but they won't have the spot below the dorsal, only stripes that will fade into dorsal giving them the look of a young female
Hey just found this quote from none other than you freshwaterpredators. Extremely helpful, that permanent black dot is very prominent in my RT, which is good cause I was so hoping for a female! She's loving all the extra room in the 60 gallon. Also, I love the personality of this fish, the tank is in my living room and this little fish is so personable! Follows me everywhere I go.

IMG_20170223_101507460.jpg

IMG_20170223_101455039.jpg

IMG_20170223_101434972.jpg

Reactions: Freshwaterpredators

RealCrix220

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
I'd say female if I had to take a guess, only because of darker colour underneath that can be vaguely seen.

RampageRR

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
MD/VA/WV
www.youtube.com
Just to reiterate that it's hard to tell at that size - I had 2 different males that looked like that when small as well. The stripes would extend into the dorsal, which made it look like the area was black. You'll be able to tell a lot better around 5" or so. If it continues to darken to a bluish/black all the way through the front of the dorsal, then you have obvious confirmation.

Red Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2019
Sacramento
Thank you for the update! Beautiful fish!

Has it laid eggs? This one has me stumped for gender. Body shape, pearling on flanks, and fins say male, but lack of pearling on head and fins say female. Normally I look for pearling on festaes and speckling on severums for males, females being more smoothly colored.

Ryan029

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Colorado
Thanks! I am by no means an expert but I had sorta come to the conclusion that this one's a female. Partly due to that blue highlighted dot before the tail fin starts, but also because of the color display I see when it gets territorial toward the fish in the tank next door. It doesn't flash color a ton as it's in a tank by itslef right now (growing out until it can safely be moved into my bigger south american tank) but when it does it looks prominently female to me at least. I'll be trying to get a video when the colors are flushed more. From what you've said though perhaps I'm wrong thinking it's a female

Red Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2019
Sacramento
Thanks! I am by no means an expert but I had sorta come to the conclusion that this one's a female. Partly due to that blue highlighted dot before the tail fin starts, but also because of the color display I see when it gets territorial toward the fish in the tank next door. It doesn't flash color a ton as it's in a tank by itslef right now (growing out until it can safely be moved into my bigger south american tank) but when it does it looks prominently female to me at least. I'll be trying to get a video when the colors are flushed more. From what you've said though perhaps I'm wrong thinking it's a female
I think you’re probably correct in it being a female, but it does show characteristics of both.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store