Great stuff question

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
I have a partially completed dart frog tank that I've been trying to figure out how to convert back to a fish tank. It's covered in great stuff with a piece of mopani drift wood. I usually cover the rest in Aquarium safe silicone with a coating of substrate mix.

Question is if I cover the back in black aqua safe silicone would it be ok to use? I'm assuming yes considering the way a lot of plywood tanks are built, but I wanted some experienced opinions.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Interesting,I have used Great Stuff around the house but never for any aquarium applications.I'm not sure if that would work or not,hopefully someone will chime in.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I have used great stuff (pond foam). It is safe and tested. I've done 4-5 tanks and backgrounds with it now. It is black in color too. I would advise this over the regular tan home use stuff all day. You do not need to seal pond foam. Just let dry 24 hours and fill er up. If you look up my build thread for my 250 (epic overhaul part duex) I show step by step pics on how to use it.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
I have used great stuff (pond foam). It is safe and tested. I've done 4-5 tanks and backgrounds with it now. It is black in color too. I would advise this over the regular tan home use stuff all day. You do not need to seal pond foam. Just let dry 24 hours and fill er up. If you look up my build thread for my 250 (epic overhaul part duex) I show step by step pics on how to use it.
See that's the problem this is the normal tan variety. It's been used for dart frog vivarium's for yrs. However I don't know of anyone that submerged it before. I think it will probably be ok if I seal it good, but I wanted others opinions.

Vivarium is a super wet environment with sensitive frogs and microfauna. I'm ASSUMING if it was leaching anything it would of been discovered by now, but again it not submerged 24/7.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
See that's the problem this is the normal tan variety. It's been used for dart frog vivarium's for yrs. However I don't know of anyone that submerged it before. I think it will probably be ok if I seal it good, but I wanted others opinions.

Vivarium is a super wet environment with sensitive frogs and microfauna. I'm ASSUMING if it was leaching anything it would of been discovered by now, but again it not submerged 24/7.
Honestly it would be best to just ask them. They will know the difference between the two product lines. One is made for aquatic use and the other household. It may just be the color or something more important. I am not sure

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Could you post a photo or two of this tank? I'd like to see how it looks.

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
i have with no problems other than it is extremely bouyant (cant spell for s**t)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store