Hi-fin Pleco suddenly dead!

Ryan029

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Colorado
Hello all....It's been a really bad morning for me. I have had the same hi-fin pleco for literally years. It's been a member of my 65 gallon cichlid tank with no issues whatsoever. Well my cichlids are aggressive (as they are known to be) and I was watching my livingstonii really pick on my pleco badly all of a sudden. Typically I don't worry about little skirmishes but this was different. So out of concern...I decided I needed to move the pleco out of the african tank it had been in all it's life and move it to another 60 gallon tank I have that only has two other fish in it currently, a big jack dempsey and a very small true festae.
It was a battle getting this pleco outta the 65 gallon tank, but about 25-30 minutes of trying I did end up netting him out. This pleco is about 6-7 inches in length. I set him up in a drip acclimation tank for 20 minutes and added half the recommended dosing of aquarium salt, just to hopefully help keep him calm and also I wanted to treat his torn fins in salt after my livingstonii tore him up. After 20 minutes I released the pleco into it's new tank....within 30 minutes it was flailing at the bottom of the tank like it was stuck under some wood....I pulled up the wood and then my pleco just floated to the top of the tank upside down and never moved again. I transferred it back into the drip bin to see if it would come around but it literally never moved again...I've tested the water...There was a bit of a pH change going from an african tank to my south american tank, a change of maybe 7.8-8 (in my african tank) to around 7.4 in my south american tank, but I thought doing a drip acclimation allowed this to be done safely? Both tanks have 0 Nitrite and 0 ammonia detected..The african tank has nitrates around 10 PPM and the south american tank is much lower, say around 5 ppm.
More relevant information....the south american tank I put this pleco into is a brand new tank, just two days old BUT I did the jump start process using my other established tanks. My JD and red terrror have been fine.....I cannot figure out how I killed this pleco..but I'm heart broken and pissed off as hell about it. I've grown this fish for years and then in trying to help it, i've killed it. Was it the net? I know nets are hard on pleco's and catfish cause they get caught up in them but I've done it before without killing any...Was it the pH change? did I mess up my drip acclimation? Any and all thoughts on this are very greatly appreciated. I'm feeling like such a failure.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Dont feel too bad, it may not of been your fault. Its sound like shock but typically most sailfins would pull right thru. What was the temperature difference between tanks?

Reactions: tlindsey

Ryan029

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Colorado
What was the temperature difference between tanks?
My african's are at 78 degrees and the south american I moved him into is at 76...

Thanks for the condolences, after keeping fish for years, something like this happens and it makes you feel like a total rookie all over again.

I was talking with some other folks, and they mentioned that maybe it had to do with shock as well. I've had this pleco living in 7.8 to 8 pH range for almost 6 years now. Maybe the transition to lower pH was harder than I thought for him? Maybe I should have done like a 45 minute drip instead of 20 minutes...

Ryan029

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Colorado
Just heard from another source that pleco's are sensitive to salt? If this is the case, I've never heard that before. I have used salt as a tonic and as a bath to prevent infection before with lots of other fish. Are pleco's different?

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Sailfins less so than some other plecs. I've salt dipped them havent noticed any major sensitivities, they are pretty tough. IDK

Ryan029

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Colorado
Sometimes I hate how in trying to clarify something, it seems like all you end up doing is creating more question marks. I was discussing with someone on fishlore about how salt-dipping the pleco may have been harmful due to the fact that I did NOT treat the whole tank with aquarium salt. So I shocked my pleco by salt dipping him in the acclimation tank and then doubly shocked it by releasing it into a tank with no added salt....but if this is the case, how is giving injured fish a salt dip ever beneficial? The whole idea is to avoid treating the entire tank with salt right? So you take the fish out dip it in salt and then put it back in the tank, do people use a drip acclimation process for both introducing salt and taking it away? Because this was not my understanding of how the process worked...

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I personally think it was the bullying that did it. Sometimes it takes a while to see internal damage.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store