UV sterilizer Tips

Wiggie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Anybody with experience got any tips on using a UV sterilizer? This is my first one (with an Aquatop 400 CF) and im open to any knowledge. About all i know is not to look at it lest I singe my eyeballs out. I haven't been using it because Ive been cycling but finally introduced fish last night and wanted to go ahead and turn it on...

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
They do work better with slower flow if I remember correctly, and replace the bulb yearly to maintain efficiency.

Dr Goonch Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
As has already been said, flow is everything with UV filters. You don't need much more than a medium sized power head to run a good sized UV unit correctly, which is a great thing.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
It's a no brainer. The UV is built into the filter right? Push the button, UV light comes on. Let it rip. No flow control to worry about because this is a filter.
If it is a new tank I would hold off turning the UV on till you know the tank is cycled.

Reactions: Wiggie

Wiggie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2017
Charlotte, NC
It's a no brainer. The UV is built into the filter right? Push the button, UV light comes on. Let it rip. No flow control to worry about because this is a filter.
If it is a new tank I would hold off turning the UV on till you know the tank is cycled.
Thank you! I thought all i needed to do was turn it on but the chart got me worried and ive been trying to figure it out lol. Yes, the UV is built right into the filter.

Wiggie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Thank you! I thought all i needed to do was turn it on but the chart got me worried and ive been trying to figure it out lol. Yes, the UV is built right into the filter.
Also, i fishless cycled for 3-4 weeks and just added dithers. I used stability the last week and feel sure the tank is cycled so I just turned UV on yesterday after I introduced fish...thanks everyone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store