South Africa
Uh oh lol. Lots o babies

Reactions: tlindsey

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Yes, keeping that small tank up is a good idea in case you get fry. The good news is that since you have 4 females to one male that is a perfect ratio for breeding and there will be little aggression compared to if you had a ton of males. Livebearers are easy and fun to breed, just make sure you have a plan for the fry, either selling/giving them away or using them as feeder fish haha. I made enough change off guppies and mollies to pay for food in the past.

Also good on you for doing research and caring for your surprise pets! I would keep treating for ich for the next 2 or maybe even 3 weeks to make sure it doesn't come back. In the meantime you should be able to get a decent fishless cycle going on that 200l tank if you have bacterial supplements and used media in the filter. Don't put the fish in the new one until the cycle is done.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
a heads up, just because you on't see spots on the fish, doesn't mean the ick is gone. In each spot are a number of young ick, and they pop out of the spot, and search for another fish to latch onto. Often they latch on to places you can't see, like the inside gill membrane.
Sometimes vacuuming out the gravel with water changes, helps reduce ick numbers, because they ca sit in the gravel. So beside diluting ammonia with each water change, you may be reducing ick population numbers. The stage where the ick are popping out of the spot is where ickare vulnerable to the salt. When encased in the fish as a spot, the salt is not effecting them.

lebroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2017
Yes, keeping that small tank up is a good idea in case you get fry. The good news is that since you have 4 females to one male that is a perfect ratio for breeding and there will be little aggression compared to if you had a ton of males. Livebearers are easy and fun to breed, just make sure you have a plan for the fry, either selling/giving them away or using them as feeder fish haha. I made enough change off guppies and mollies to pay for food in the past.

Also good on you for doing research and caring for your surprise pets! I would keep treating for ich for the next 2 or maybe even 3 weeks to make sure it doesn't come back. In the meantime you should be able to get a decent fishless cycle going on that 200l tank if you have bacterial supplements and used media in the filter. Don't put the fish in the new one until the cycle is done.
Hi, Thank you, I will keep the salt in the tank, and hope it stays away, I just cant heat the little tank any hotter than 26 degrees celsius, will this make a difference to treatment?

lebroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2017
a heads up, just because you on't see spots on the fish, doesn't mean the ick is gone. In each spot are a number of young ick, and they pop out of the spot, and search for another fish to latch onto. Often they latch on to places you can't see, like the inside gill membrane.
Sometimes vacuuming out the gravel with water changes, helps reduce ick numbers, because they ca sit in the gravel. So beside diluting ammonia with each water change, you may be reducing ick population numbers. The stage where the ick are popping out of the spot is where ickare vulnerable to the salt. When encased in the fish as a spot, the salt is not effecting them.
Thanks, I knew to keep up treatment, from reading the thread in here. There is still no sign on any of the other fish, so I am hoping the salt is killing it as it bursts of the affected fish...Is that likely?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Thanks, I knew to keep up treatment, from reading the thread in here. There is still no sign on any of the other fish, so I am hoping the salt is killing it as it bursts of the affected fish...Is that likely?
Just keep it going a bit longer, since your temp isn't as high.

lebroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2017
Is it unusual that we have had the ick for about 7 days, and it doesnt seem to be spreading to the other fish? i was told it was highly contagious, it sure does look like ick, but it also hasnt spread anywhere else but the one platys tail...is that normal? i noticed last night that she still does have spots, i thought they had gone, but it must have been my poor eyesight, clearer to see in a dark room!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store