Above Ground Winter Temp In Michigan?

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Wondering if anyone has an above ground pond and has any experience with temperatures and keeping their fish outside all winter.

Seems below ground would help the water stay closer to 55 degrees...

Would an above ground get that much colder with the filter and airstone running all winter?

Im wanting to do an above ground but dont rely want to bring the fish inside every winter.

Thanks

natbling

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2015
Hey Vamptrev. Looks like we are in the same state! I have read up on geothermal and it seems that you would have go down 4-6 ft for temps to stay constant. With the winters we have had... would need constant water circulation so the water has a hard time of freezing along with heaters.

Looks I can't private message, but if you have any pairs of BDs you would like to sell. I would be interested!!! 734-417-0233

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Will do i will save your number.

I am wondering if the water will get closer to air temp being above ground....

roadboy240sx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2009
off the map
Our pond is 5ft deep we run it all year long for about 6 years now. Except this past year so I can't give any info on recent temps. But the koi have done well every year. The middle pond the feeds the main 5ft pond and it's only about 2ft deep and sits above ground level. It sometimes has frozen with in a couple inches of the bottem. Water is still able to flow. We obviously don't keep fish in it during the winter. So in short your theory is correct. An above ground pond will get much colder then an in ground pond. I'm also located downriver michigan to give you am idea I've the area

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Thanks for the feedback. I was afraid it would get too cold... Maybe i will do half burried to get some of it under ground

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
A good source of temperature trends for your area can be found in the Old Farmer's Almanac. They list predicted weather and previous weather conditions. They're web site has choices for specific areas.
2015-old-farmers-almanac.jpg

Last edited:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I'm in southern Wisconsin and have 2 in ground ponds, (one is @ 1500 gallons, the other @ 500 gallons) both @ 4ft deep.

They both freeze solid to within an inch or 2 of the bottom.
I also had a 3 ft deep above ground rubbermaid 300gal stock tank that would freeze solid.

Needless to say, I bring fish and plants inside to a pool in the basement by the 1st of Nov, where they remain until late march.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I'm curious as well. I have a crazy plan I'd like to try, but have major doubts it would work being so far north.(southern Minnesota here).
I'm wondering if 3,000gl+ could keep from freezing if it was insulated and had a heater running.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store