New 180!

Tyler_Wentworth_150

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2015
Humboldt county
I have a 20" syngergy reef overflow sitting in my garage just waiting for my big tank upgrade - sounds like you have something like that in mind?

You can plumb this one in a couple different ways. I plan to use a bean animal set-up on mine.

Your 40 breeder would make an okay dump, but bigger is better.
Something like that, aiming for 10x per hour turnover

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Drilling the back gives you alittle more room in the tank. I'm assuming that's why you want to drill? Just make sure to cap the bottom holes really well to prevent future leakage. Also drilling your own lets you control the flow of the tank better then previously drilled holes. Although most the time that's not a huge issue anyways.

You gonna paint the background black? I've seen some nice jags on the blue background looks really good. But I've always been partial to black. :D

As for your sump,what type of stand is it? Because like the others said 55 is great! Except you won't be able to remove it. If it ever leaks or cracks ECT or there is something you want to change. If your stand is like most wooden stands with two center braces a 4" tank gets tricky.

If you can fit the 4" that's awesome. I personally use a bag filter with submerged media. But I've used trickle towers before with filter floss on the top too they work just as well. I actually just got a slightly bigger one myself. So now I have my heater and a large sponge filter in mine as well. So it keep items in my tank to a minimum.
But when you need a sponge for that hospital tank you have one.

As for a pump, I currently use a Jecod/Jebao DCT Marine Controllable Water Pump. It's quite, powerful, and best of all cheap. It has a nifty feed feature. And soft start. I've been running one in both my 125 and 150 for about 6 months now with no hiccups.

Anyways long rant over. Good luck with the tank man. Can't wait to see that guy become a beast.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Nice Jag dude. Gonna be a beast in this big tank. As others said, a 3-4' sump should be enough. If you want a hospital tank under there as well, you could get away with the 40gallon as a sump and then put a 20long or 29g next to it, that would be a little less than 6' under there. Just depends on your stand and how much room you've got. Although, I kind of doubt your going to need a hospital if you already have your stock and aren't planning on introducing anything

Reactions: Covetous

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Take some snapshots of the tank when you get the chance. As others have mentioned, 3-4' sump would be great. Definitely prioritize that over a hospital if you had to compromise - you'll like having that sump. Of course the space underneath the stand will determine what your options are too.

Sounds like the previous owner had a closed loop system for circulation? Some FW folks tend to avoid, but perhaps considering using that if it's already drilled?

Looking forward to following another set-up...

Tyler_Wentworth_150

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2015
Humboldt county
Unfortunately I don't have any pics yet. Went to meet up under serious time constraints and I was excited like one of my toddlers SSO I didn't even have my phone in my pocket lol. I'll post some up ASAP, March 2 is when I get to pick it up

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Unfortunately I don't have any pics yet. Went to meet up under serious time constraints and I was excited like one of my toddlers SSO I didn't even have my phone in my pocket lol. I'll post some up ASAP, March 2 is when I get to pick it up
Why do you want to drill new holes? Just curious.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...ome-help-with-noise-reduction-options.680720/

Here is a thread on my 220 (same footprint as a 180) setup. It will detail how you can make the tank completely silent and how I set up my sump.

The only thing I would recommend doing differently is to use filter socks instead of sponges/filter floss.

IMG_1292.JPG

Here is a picture of what my sump looked like before it went in the stand. It did have to go in before the tank went on and cannot come back out without a lot of work to the stand or taking the display tank off. It's up to you if that is ok or not.

Reactions: Tyler_Wentworth_150

Tyler_Wentworth_150

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2015
Humboldt county
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...ome-help-with-noise-reduction-options.680720/

Here is a thread on my 220 (same footprint as a 180) setup. It will detail how you can make the tank completely silent and how I set up my sump.

The only thing I would recommend doing differently is to use filter socks instead of sponges/filter floss.

View attachment 1234184

Here is a picture of what my sump looked like before it went in the stand. It did have to go in before the tank went on and cannot come back out without a lot of work to the stand or taking the display tank off. It's up to you if that is ok or not.
Thanks Travis, I'll give that good read after work :)

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
Considered a dual corner matten filter? If your tank doesn't have true overflows it would be easy to convert. Then you could have whatever hospital tank underneath you wanted.

Edit: If I had heard about them 6 months ago I could have saved a ton of cash not setting up overflows/sump

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store