My polys

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
still impressed with the plumping! Looks great! How did you learn how to build it?

Excited for the fish and you :)
P.s. What type of rocks are those/where does one find boulders like that?
yessss!!!. Is that a 3d background too?!
Thx

Members hear taught me. I actually look at the plumbing more than the tank lol. A couple of yrs ago when i got hurt dealing with the canisters became quite the chore and Another member that i talk to often was talking me into sumps. I tried one on my 75 gal and was in love with it. Next to no maintenence. I have a 2217 on that same 75 gal now and i absolutely hate it cant wait to decommission it !

Yes the backround is from universal rocks.

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Thx

Members hear taught me. I actually look at the plumbing more than the tank lol. A couple of yrs ago when i got hurt dealing with the canisters became quite the chore and Another member that i talk to often was talking me into sumps. I tried one on my 75 gal and was in love with it. Next to no maintenence. I have a 2217 on that same 75 gal now and i absolutely hate it cant wait to decommission it !

Yes the backround is from universal rocks.
that's awesome. Yeah the plumbing is definitely something to be proud of. That's cool that the sumps are little to no maintenance and quiet. Sounds like they might be the holy grail of filters!

Do you build your own sumps? I'll also check out the DIY threads to see how to do this.
Background looks sweet too!

Reactions: Polyaddict86

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
that's awesome. Yeah the plumbing is definitely something to be proud of. That's cool that the sumps are little to no maintenance and quiet. Sounds like they might be the holy grail of filters!

Do you build your own sumps? I'll also check out the DIY threads to see how to do this.
Background looks sweet too!
Sumps are definitly.the way to go. A sump can be as simple or as complicated as you want. This is the sump on the 150 gal. Its just a beat up old 30 gal with bags of bio and two sock holders made out of lighting diffuser.
I like them because other than changing filter socks there really isnt any other maintenance. Plus they add gallons to the overall setup and hold way more bio than any canister could dream of.
I had widwest customs build the sump for the new tank as i would have had to find a used 125 gal and picking it up would be impossible plus it come with fancy smancy sock holders lol
I would look at the filtration section lots of sump talk there20170221_210007.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looking at a possible algae scrubber J jaws7777 ? I'm looking to do a diy build (a while....surely the next day if i divorce my wife) and look to add something like this one day. It'll reduce nitrates and create more oxygen into the tank. Overall help with a heavy or increasing bioload.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Looking at a possible algae scrubber J jaws7777 ? I'm looking to do a diy build (a while....surely the next day if i divorce my wife) and look to add something like this one day. It'll reduce nitrates and create more oxygen into the tank. Overall help with a heavy or increasing bioload.
I did think about it but opted not to and probably would have been happier in the long run if i had went with it. Only reason i didnt was because i didnt want any baffles. I was also thinking about a deep bed but was told by most that it either wouldnt work or would be to hard to maintain. There is soo much stuff that the saltwater guys are doing that could be incorporated into fresh.

How are the plants doing ?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I did think about it but opted not to and probably would have been happier in the long run if i had went with it. Only reason i didnt was because i didnt want any baffles. I was also thinking about a deep bed but was told by most that it either wouldnt work or would be to hard to maintain. There is soo much stuff that the saltwater guys are doing that could be incorporated into fresh.

How are the plants doing ?
The plants got chewed up by my well fed chalceus. Strange. Gonna look into some duckweed since it grows fast and maybe can survive some nibbling. If not then gonna look at diy algae scrubber. Will see.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
The plants got chewed up by my well fed chalceus. Strange. Gonna look into some duckweed since it grows fast and maybe can survive some nibbling. If not then gonna look at diy algae scrubber. Will see.
Baffles are needed with the scrubber ?

Reactions: Polyaddict86

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Baffles are needed with the scrubber ?
Dont think any baffles are needed. Its similar to the one diy joey did for one of his videos. The salt guys have something different setup sometimes but similar ideas.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Dont think any baffles are needed. Its similar to the one diy joey did for one of his videos. The salt guys have something different setup sometimes but similar ideas.

Ok THAT is getting its own thread..will tag you

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It's really nice cause for both fresh and salt it'll really bring down the nitrates cause of the rapid growth and concentrate the algae.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store