240g Acrylic tank build thread (PIC HEAVY)

jsc

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2005
Bethlehem, PA
Looking great!

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
Thanks guys appreciate it. Question for those with acrylic tanks /plywood stands. Now that the tank is on the stand....The plywood is flat and sanded, but I see at least 1/8" to maybe 1 1/4" gap (irragularity ) in the plywood top. I did not want to do foam under tank & stan...but should I?
So I had a similiar question when I did my tank.. I have a 300 gallon acrylic.
My research said that some manuactures recommended it, some did not.
I called my builder, and he said it would not hurt to do it, but he did not come out and say "yes, do it" (I am going by memory,, this was years ago).
So I put a sheet of structural styrofoam that they use for sheathing houses. I think it was 1/2 inch thick.. When I do a 50% water change, I can hear the foam "re-expanding" as the weight is reduced (or at least that is what I think I hear).

So I would say, yes.. do it. put foam under the tank to help level it, if there is a thick bottom.
I have seen large acrylic tanks with only 1/4 inch bottom.. if I had a bottom that thin, it might make more sense to have no foam so the plywood under the tank would help support the bottom. I would fear that if the tank had a 1/4 inch bottom and foam underneath, that the weight of the water would bulge the bottom out too much if there was a foam layer.

Again, I am not an expert, just giving my opinion.

If you know who manufacturered your tank though, you could ask them what they advice.

pdxmonkeyboy

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2016
I see a lot of guys putting foam down but I never have. acrylic is pretty flexible and it's going to deform waaay before it ever even thinks of breaking. I had a 200 gallon aquarium with a stand with 1 foot square holes in the bottom. I drained the tank after about 2 years and it wouldn't sit flat on the ground because the acrylic had bubbled through the two holes in the stand. built a new stand with solid bottom and filled it up. Never even a creak out of it.

Bottom line.. it can't hurt but I don't think it's really necessary.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
Very slow going since it is so large of a background but spent the weekend getting the first of the 5 panels of the new tanks background painted. Decided to go with a bit darker of a look on this one than some of the ones in the past and really like the way it is turning out. Fish colors should really pop against it once done. One section done and four more to go :(

Reactions: jsc and JK47

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Very slow going since it is so large of a background but spent the weekend getting the first of the 5 panels of the new tanks background painted. Decided to go with a bit darker of a look on this one than some of the ones in the past and really like the way it is turning out. Fish colors should really pop against it once done. One section done and four more to go :(

Nothing of decent quality goes quick or easy. Looks great Steve. Keep after it man the end result is more than worth it

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
Up to about 80 hours into the background now but I do see the end in sight, at least far as the background goes. Finished up another full day of painting and now have all the paint work done. All that is left to do on the background now is to pull it back out and seal it with pond shield and then install it permanently and work on installing the blue cave lights. Then I can start on finishing the stand. Few pics of it currently. First pic is with just the camera flash then the rest are with the full spectrum LED tank lights on.

jsc

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2005
Bethlehem, PA
Up to about 80 hours into the background now but I do see the end in sight, at least far as the background goes. Finished up another full day of painting and now have all the paint work done. All that is left to do on the background now is to pull it back out and seal it with pond shield and then install it permanently and work on installing the blue cave lights. Then I can start on finishing the stand. Few pics of it currently. First pic is with just the camera flash then the rest are with the full spectrum LED tank lights on.

Awesome! Great job!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store