300 gallon setup/sump build

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
What's the temp in the room?

If you confirmed the Ranco hasnt hit the set temp and the glass heaters are on, then just keep an eye on it to see how long it takes.I also just keep the diff to 1.

I like to run a digital probe in the overflow to play the "compare the temp between sump and tank" game. Just to see the slight variances.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
As far as the heater setting, if it works the same way as my InkBird, a 1 degree differential set at 79 will operate as follows:

Heater on up to 79
Heater off down to 78
Heater on up to 79
Etc.

Also, for those worried about the carpet, you realize that outside the drips from maintenance and fish splashing, there is probably over 3000 lbs sitting on the frame outline that sits on the carpet? I'm pretty sure the carpet is already ruined on that basis. Lol. It's something I've accepted (and something I have NOT told my wife) and will need to be replaced, eventually.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Yeah the relay should click every time it goes on or off. Theoretically the water should heat to 84F if receptacle were to fail and read under temp. I'd set it to 78 and see where it ends up with a second thermometer. What's the sump sitting at now, from the other thermometer.
No problem at all man. You gotta do what works best for your system. Overall it looks pretty good. Glad you did rip the right drain apart to fix the uneven level. Hopefully that doesnt cause you anymore problems in the future. But thats aweso,e that its super quiet right now
Thx man to be honest i thought there would be allot more tinker with the gate. I havent really messed with it other than playing around with the pump/gate settings. Im gonna continue to mess with it. I wanna see if i cloae the gate and one Edrain if the remaining open E drain will handle all the flow by itself. Also gonna tinker woth the stand pipe heights.

What's the temp in the room?

If you confirmed the Ranco hasnt hit the set temp and the glass heaters are on, then just keep an eye on it to see how long it takes.I also just keep the diff to 1.

I like to run a digital probe in the overflow to play the "compare the temp between sump and tank" game. Just to see the slight variances.

As far as the heater setting, if it works the same way as my InkBird, a 1 degree differential set at 79 will operate as follows:

Heater on up to 79
Heater off down to 78
Heater on up to 79
Etc.

Also, for those worried about the carpet, you realize that outside the drips from maintenance and fish splashing, there is probably over 3000 lbs sitting on the frame outline that sits on the carpet? I'm pretty sure the carpet is already ruined on that basis. Lol. It's something I've accepted (and something I have NOT told my wife) and will need to be replaced, eventually.

So i swapped the aqueons with two jagers last night. This morning im at 78 (where i wanna be)
Settings on the ranco are just like travis mentioned set to 79 differential set to 1 temp reading 78 and the heaters are set to 83.

Confusing part is that i out 1 aqueon in the 150 and its maintaining the tem at 78 or 79. You would think if 1 aqueon 300 watt could handle a 150 gal then 2 should handle the 300 lol

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I run two AquaTop 300W heaters in my 220 and they have no problem. I have the heaters set at 86 and the InkBird set to 82. They keep it going just fine.

Does the Ranco display the current temperature or just the set temperature?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I run two AquaTop 300W heaters in my 220 and they have no problem. I have the heaters set at 86 and the InkBird set to 82. They keep it going just fine.

Does the Ranco display the current temperature or just the set temperature?
Yup display both. Going to try the inkbird on the 150.

20170221_084455.jpg

Got the fish in. This project WILL be finished today lol

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Takes some time to heat that much water. Wondering if it takes longer than I anticipated or if the aqueons are junk. 600W should handle that well, but with these set ups I usually expect more temp loss than smaller tanks. When you dial the output up, add water crashing into the sump and you end up with a lot of surface agitation.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Takes some time to heat that much water. Wondering if it takes longer than I anticipated or if the aqueons are junk. 600W should handle that well, but with these set ups I usually expect more temp loss than smaller tanks. When you dial the output up, add water crashing into the sump and you end up with a lot of surface agitation.
Lol one of the yagers turns on while the other doesnt takes some time but the one that doesnt eventually starts up. Gonna swap it for one of thw aqueons and get another yager. Screw it atleadt eheim will keep replacing them lol

Reactions: Woefulrelic

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Almost done guys. Just a few things left to do but got all the fish, bio, and plants transfered over. I all the bio frlm the 150 and added another 20 liters of matrix.

Probably going to change the lamp as it doesnt quite sit right and add another for the left side.

20170221_120631.jpg 20170221_120557.jpg 20170221_120551.jpg 20170221_120527.jpg 20170221_120521.jpg

I removed the tops of the pond boxes and crammed the laundry bags into the bottom sections

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Cool setup, looking good. I'm curious how fruitful the water lettuce growth will be. I'd completely submerge the heaters, and consider a powerhead in the sump. Might not be necessary and end up with a ton of evaporation if you don't fit plastic lids over it somehow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store