Big Enthusiasts want a 10k gallon

PeaceMaker27

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
I plan on starting off with a 150-300 gallon tank to experiment with saltwater for a couple years.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
I'd love to see numbers on something like this.

I feel I'm doing quite well in life financially, my wife and I are both engineers with good jobs, but I fully know I couldn't "afford" this. (I put quotes in because people have different definitions of afford, if I cashed out my savings and accepted zero cash flow for maintance we could probably pull it off, but I want to retire at 45-50...not never). To comfortably afford the initial few hundred thousand, on top of thousands per month electric / water / food, you better be pulling $500k / year, or just inherit a lot of money.

I do wish more people talked openly about money though. how much does a custom made turn key system from Midwest custom cost in like the 500-1000 gallon range? What about 2,000? What about this guys 10,000? I have dreams of a monster 500-1000 gallon in my future, but life would have to take some crazy turns for me to even consider 10,000.

Reactions: Fat Homer

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Large custom tanks are about the price of a high end car. There is a guy on Reef Central who put a 1700 gal glass tank into his house. The tank alone was between $60,000 and $70,000, not including the shipping costs or the crane to lift it into his house. A tank six times the six, I cannot even imagine how much the tank alone will cost. And with salt tanks, nearly always the tank is the cheap part of the system. If done properly I have no doubt a 10,000 gal salt tank would hit at least $750k.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
As others have may have noted, I'd be seeking the help of general contractors and contacts in public aquariums and universities who have had large tanks that can share all things associated to building large tanks, plumbing, filtration, heating, water turnover, disease treatment and the list goes on. 10K gallons isnt nearly as big for commercial, but im sure you'll learn alot.

Given you're doing this years down the line, this is the needed research time. It would be awesome.

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
Large custom tanks are about the price of a high end car. There is a guy on Reef Central who put a 1700 gal glass tank into his house. The tank alone was between $60,000 and $70,000, not including the shipping costs or the crane to lift it into his house. A tank six times the six, I cannot even imagine how much the tank alone will cost. And with salt tanks, nearly always the tank is the cheap part of the system. If done properly I have no doubt a 10,000 gal salt tank would hit at least $750k.
Was that that guy with all them ferraris?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
What do you do for a living OP?
I don't think he's coming back to this thread cause too many "flame" replies LOL
Also, nobody gonna believe him since it's "internet".
If I told you that I owned a Ferrari 2016 paid off by cash, do you believe me? Probably NOT LOL
I have no issue in term of money to hire a professionals to built 10000 gallons saltwater tank but I don't want to do that for some other reasons. I'm probably sure that no one gonna give a damn what I'm saying cause it's internet :p ...Seriously, I do own a Ferrari! ;)

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
I don't think he's coming back to this thread cause too many "flame" replies LOL
Also, nobody gonna believe him since it's "internet".
If I told you that I owned a Ferrari 2016 paid off by cash, do you believe me? Probably NOT LOL
I have no issue in term of money to hire a professionals to built 10000 gallons saltwater tank but I don't want to do that for some other reasons. I'm probably sure that no one gonna give a damn what I'm saying cause it's internet :p ...Seriously, I do own a Ferrari! ;)
Guy about 10 minutes away from my house was selling a 2200 gallon tank, stand, filtration for $10,000. Although it did seem sketchy. Considering my parents bought a new house with enough space, would've been nice if it was still for sale, considering just a 9' X 32" X 40" acrylic, no stand/filtration is $7500 usd converted to cad= $9800

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store