Newbie alert! First monster tank and looking at peacocks

bassinmike85

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
California
Kinda quickly read through the posts. Currently I have a 240g with a few cichlids and 4 peacock bass temensis. But I am planning on getting a much bigger tank for them. Are you looking to keep peacock bass in the tank for life or would this be a temp grow out tank and once their big Enuff get a different tank?

Reddevil07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah I definitely have Mike. Watched all your videos too! This would be a forever home for them. I plan on getting a larger tank eventually but probably not within the next 5 years or so.

Reactions: bassinmike85

Balraj Thethi

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2015
Appreciate all the advice guys thank you. I've been reading through the stickies, watching videos,etc. I'll definitely be asking more questions before I pull the trigger on some fish. For those who have suggested other species, thank you. For those who were a little more on the fence about the species I initially listed, what would be some other interesting options for a tank like mine? I come from more of a community tank background so my knowledge of larger fish is not as great.

Boostin Audi, I have to ask, what do you drive? Fellow car guy here too. Got a 94 Supra turbo in the garage that sucks all my cash too lol.
I've got 2 azuls and a temensis. All around 7" so far, im expecting them to get very big. My tanks 8'x30"x30".
And since you mentioned cars, I've got an 89 Nissan Bluebird ZX Turbo

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Also for Pbass, if i remember correctly, it is a good idea to dose vitamin supplements in their food to avoid HITH

Would a Jardini not work in a tank of that length? The width is a little sketchy but if it is smaller i believe it may work...

Reddevil07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2016
Balraj- do you plan on upgrading that tank or will they still work in that size? You have 4" more width than me. And I love the classic 80's z cars! Very cool!

Hendre- some of the research I've done is while they are typically smaller, they are not as flexible and therefore, wouldn't be able to turn around. I'm open to hear from others that have kept them though

Balraj Thethi

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2015
Balraj- do you plan on upgrading that tank or will they still work in that size? You have 4" more width than me. And I love the classic 80's z cars! Very cool!

Hendre- some of the research I've done is while they are typically smaller, they are not as flexible and therefore, wouldn't be able to turn around. I'm open to hear from others that have kept them though
Iv got a long time before i might need to upgrade. Iv also got to convince my dad to let me go bigger. It was hard enough getting this one in.
Yeah i love older cars. My dads had this one for 26 years and I've always wanted it so i never let him get rid of it and its now mine

bassinmike85

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
California
if i was you i would stick with either kelberi or intermedia since they dont get that lengthy.

Richard Gazinya

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
Seeing that I'll be starting with 2" fry, I think I'll have plenty of time to keep them before they get too big. I've talked to a number of people who have agreed I'll be alright. I appreciate the advice though.
Dont ask for advice if you cannot take it.

Richard Gazinya

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
Iv got a long time before i might need to upgrade. Iv also got to convince my dad to let me go bigger. It was hard enough getting this one in.
Yeah i love older cars. My dads had this one for 26 years and I've always wanted it so i never let him get rid of it and its now mine
You have to ask your dad?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store