Mastacembalus erythrotanea

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
So great that they eat out of your hand. How big is your tank? I'd love one of these someday but I am worried about all of the reading I do regarding how hard they are to get to feed. You obviously are doing ok. ;)

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
So great that they eat out of your hand. How big is your tank? I'd love one of these someday but I am worried about all of the reading I do regarding how hard they are to get to feed. You obviously are doing ok. ;)
Their current tank is a 50gallon, they will eventually live with the bichirs, just want them to learn to eat other stuff before they can be shifted, out of the three only one eats Tilapia, the others eat only live shrimp and live earthworms.

It has been almost 4years, and they still don't eat Pellets, the big guy took. More than 3 years before he accepted Tilapia as food, else it's just live shrimp and live earthworms

Reactions: magpie

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Argh!

Do you breed shrimp or buy then?
I buy em twice a week, about 200-300 shrimps a week, depending on availability.

Currently the fire eel and the Payara, are the only two fish in my fish room, that need live food, else all the others are on fresh Tilapia fillet or pellets

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
You're doing ghost shrimp? That's a spendy diet. Worms could be free, but shrimp... not so much. Why do these guys have to be so tough to convert? *sigh*

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
You're doing ghost shrimp? That's a spendy diet. Worms could be free, but shrimp... not so much. Why do these guys have to be so tough to convert? *sigh*
been doing that for the last 4 years, and have converted one to Tilapia fillet. The problem is unlike other fish, these fish can go months without eating

Reactions: magpie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store