Rearing of Rainbow Trout Fry

fischcrazy

Feeder Fish
Jan 9, 2017
I have a few dozen fry that finshed up thier Alevin stage last week, i transferred them to a fiberglass holding tank until they reach thier Parr stage, and will restock them then. The tank ranges from about 54-68* and theyre currently only eating capelin eggs (cant get them to take ground feed pellets), fed about 1/4 of the egg sack daily throughout the day. Is anyone familiar with rearing them? Growth rate, suggested foods, and if a few would be okay in a display ranging between 68-71*

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I have a few dozen fry that finshed up thier Alevin stage last week, i transferred them to a fiberglass holding tank until they reach thier Parr stage, and will restock them then. The tank ranges from about 54-68* and theyre currently only eating capelin eggs (cant get them to take ground feed pellets), fed about 1/4 of the egg sack daily throughout the day. Is anyone familiar with rearing them? Growth rate, suggested foods, and if a few would be okay in a display ranging between 68-71*
@ Cecil b keeps them ,they should be kept below 60 (or better yet in the 56 to 45 degree range)

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Calling Cecil B. Cecil B.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Cecil B.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2011
Ligonier, Indiana
Optimum temp range for eggs is low 50's F. Alevins, fry , and fingerlings you can bump it up a low to the mid to upper 50's.

You need very fine feed for the fry starting at a powder size and working up to couple larger sizes as they grow larger. Keep in mind they need to be fed up to 8 X per day.

Obviously it doesn't make sense to buy the typical quantities for the few fish you have, so I would suggest buying smaller quantities from the folks at Allied Aqua (listed as Cichlid feed but same protein, lipids etc.)

http://alliedaqua.com/fish-food/

Last edited:

Cecil B.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2011
Ligonier, Indiana
Optimum temp range for eggs is low 50's F. Alevins, fry , and fingerlings you can bump it up a low to the mid to upper 50's.

You need very fine feed for the fry starting at a powder size and working up to couple larger sizes as they grow larger. Keep in mind they need to be fed up to 8 X per day.

Obviously it doesn't make sense to buy the typical quantities for the few fish you have, so I would suggest buying smaller quantities from the folks at Allied Aqua (listed as Cichlid feed but same protein, lipids etc.)

http://alliedaqua.com/fish-food/
I'm now getting the small quantities I need now from Shelby Fish Farm in Anna, Ohio. I'm only hatching about 1000 brown trout eggs presently so once they are ready to feed I probably won't go thorough a 2 lbs. of fry powder until they are ready for the next size feed up. Makes no sense to buy a big expensive bag and have it go to waste.

The eggs in a floating basket I made from a laundry basket, nylon screen, and silicone. Pieces of swim noodle keep it floating. A piece of wire bent in a 'U' keep it in place in the circular tank.

bnt eggs in basket 2022.jpeg

Reactions: Umbra
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store