Someone should make clear canister filters

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
The CFS14i looks pretty dope too
I've heard from other members, that have used this, that its not really worth it. The gph appears to be no more than that of the CFS700, and maintenance is a PITA due to the height. However, you can definitely put a lot of bio media in that beast.

If you plan to give these canisters a try, there's acouple of things to be aware of. 1) the O-rings that allows the hoses to be disconnected from the body is a bit too large, and will make removal a Herculean effort. There's a proper sized O-rings (which I can track down if you want to know). There water shut off connectors tends to leak after a couple of years, due the custom O-rings wearing down over time. However, these connectors can be replaced for only about $10. Also, don't over tighten the lid screws, there's no need to. People complained about cracked lids, but I have 4 of these units for more than 3 years, and have no cracked lids.
20160522_154623.jpg

Besides, these 2 issues, these canisters are workhorses and the CFS500 and CFS700 have really powerful pumps

Last edited:

hart24601

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2015
Yeah, they do.

I imagine the ones now have pumps better than the original units, that had sewing machine motors mounted on top that ran them, which had to be heavily oiled to maintain. No joke.
Same old terrible motors! Bought one two years ago and had to oil it, still failed in a year using it once a week.

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
The first aquarium canister is Diatom Filter which is made of see through glass. Its intended to move from tank to tank for short term polishing only. Some clever vendors discovered they can modify and market canisters as high capacity, long term low maintenance filter to passionate hobbyists and makes good profit. Yes, it's high capacity and long term use by delaying cleaning, which is bad for the fish. Its not low maintenance, just slow maintenance because cleaning a canister is tedious. This is why they made it opaque so you can't see that you're just procrastinating cleaning by sweeping dirt under the rug. There are other issues with canister such as going anaerobic And vulnerability of leaking and draining the tank. But manufacturers don't tell you and it's disgraceful they even sell them. If you want to move up from hobs, get a sump system for big tank which is transparent and easy to clean.

hart24601

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2015
I would think the real and main reason we don't see many clear canisters now is how cheap plastic is (vs glass) and how durable plastic is and it's more inexpensive to use opaque plastic. Not very exciting I know. At least not being clear you wont get algae in it if the canister gets some light, but I really feel it boils down to $$ and clear canisters you pay a bit more for that option.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I would think the real and main reason we don't see many clear canisters now is how cheap plastic is (vs glass) and how durable plastic is and it's more inexpensive to use opaque plastic. Not very exciting I know. At least not being clear you wont get algae in it if the canister gets some light, but I really feel it boils down to $$ and clear canisters you pay a bit more for that option.
I don't think it has anything to do with cheaper plastic or algae growth. With the price they are charging, plastic or glass doesn't make much difference to upgraded customers. Algae growth shouldn't be a problem if canister is placed underneath cabinet, besides, algae helps remove nitrate. The main reason is that opacity can hide waste and by pass, making customers feel good of their investment.

BTW, Vortex still makes Diatom Filter which has been in use long before canister filter was invented.

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-D-1-D...06121&sr=8-2&keywords=vortex+diatom+filter+xl

Blackwater13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2010
Chicago Heights, IL
While not completely transparent the API/Rena Filstars can easily be seen through. Using a flashlight or if there is enough ambient light and you can see inside. That being said you can't see into the individual media trays only how much gunk has built up.

hart24601

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2015
I don't think it has anything to do with cheaper plastic or algae growth. With the price they are charging, plastic or glass doesn't make much difference to upgraded customers. Algae growth shouldn't be a problem if canister is placed underneath cabinet, besides, algae helps remove nitrate. The main reason is that opacity can hide waste and by pass, making customers feel good of their investment.

BTW, Vortex still makes Diatom Filter which has been in use long before canister filter was invented.

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-D-1-D...06121&sr=8-2&keywords=vortex+diatom+filter+xl
I know, you must have missed my post above where I said I bought a vortex two years ago and the motor failed in less then a year, shame they have not upgraded them.

Just going to have to respectfully disagree on why they don't use clear plastics more in canisters! Although I really don't think algae growing in a canister is going to help remove nitrate to any meaningful extent in side a canister and will just clog up the media. Plus while you can tuck them in the dark not everyone has enclosed stands, I personally know quite a few people that canisters are exposed and would probably get algae growth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store