Aqueon 180 Mega Flow Tank Overflow Issue

Dixon81

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
Massachusetts
Hello
I did a full water test last night on my new 180 Aqueon. Filled the tank and the sump, powered on the pump and watched. Looking at the back of the tank the right overflow would fill up, then drain down a few inches lower than it should, fill up then drain, over and over. The left side would be steady not moving at all (normal).

The pump i am using is a Jebao DC-900 rated for about 2377 max flow @ zero head. I have this pump at setting #3 so around 1188 GPH. There is about 6' of head so subtract some of that flow. At that flow the overflow will act normal. If i increase the pump by 1 setting to #4 that same overflow acts up again.

Is this just a simple case of overwhelming that overflow? The left overflow still acts normal at this increase flow.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
What type of drains are on the overflows? Any valves controlling the drains? Sounds like new plumbing, are there more turns in your plumbing on one overflow vs the other? Also, are the returns directed in such way its pushing more water to the overflow? Pictures may help.

Sorry for all the questions, but could be a few variables so just trying narrow down.

Dixon81

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
Massachusetts
What type of drains are on the overflows? Any valves controlling the drains? Sounds like new plumbing, are there more turns in your plumbing on one overflow vs the other? Also, are the returns directed in such way its pushing more water to the overflow? Pictures may help.

Sorry for all the questions, but could be a few variables so just trying narrow down.
Yes, new plumbing. No Valves yet
The overflows are the standard drain and return that comes with a mega flow. 3/4" return and 1.25" drain i believe.
Both drains are 1.25" pool hose come out from the tank with a sweeping curve down to the sump. I would say the "normal" overflow drain line is 1-2' longer than the noisier one.
The returns are both pointed in same general direction, not towards the overflow

IMG_4822.JPG

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Are both drains submerged in the sump end? And are both drains fullu siphoned? Not familiar with your exact model, but the concepts should be the same.

Dixon81

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
Massachusetts
Are both drains submerged in the sump end? And are both drains fullu siphoned? Not familiar with your exact model, but the concepts should be the same.
This picture was taken before i cut the length of the drain lines down going to the sump, That's why it shows one with a half loop. Also the "dursos" weren't adjusted at this point. They have since been adjusted to the same height.

Yes the ends of both drain lines in my sump are under the water line.

IMG_4819.JPG

Dixon81

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
Massachusetts
I didn't specificity measure but i know one is longer than the other due to the inlet to the sump being off set to the center of the tank.
If i had to guess, i bet the quieter overflow has a drain line probably 18" longer than the loud one.

Just re-read and you asked about return line:. The return line is the same as above besides opposite. The louder return line is longer than the quieter one.

Should both return lines be the same length?

Def Leppard Hysteria

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
Omaha, NE
I didn't specificity measure but i know one is longer than the other due to the inlet to the sump being off set to the center of the tank.
If i had to guess, i bet the quieter overflow has a drain line probably 18" longer than the loud one.

Just re-read and you asked about return line:. The return line is the same as above besides opposite. The louder return line is longer than the quieter one.
It is my understanding that you want both return lines to be equidistant with each other. That is how I plumbed my 265 and 300 gallon reef ready tanks.

20160502_152918.jpg

20160502_153012.jpg

Because my return pump is off to the right side of my tank, I plumbed the single line from the pump to the middle of the tank and split the line into two from there.

I used this site for reference. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-01/newbie/index.php In the "How Do I Plumb It" section of the article.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaws7777

Dixon81

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
Massachusetts
I'm not saying you are wrong at all. I just don't understand why that matters. After the initial burst of water the two lines should be pushing at the same rate right? or pretty close, we are talking about 12-18" difference, not 12-18' deep.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
My only thought on the returns, were not the length, but based on how they were pointed and the water flow, one overflow was forced to try to take on more water than the other. But I think you said that they were essentially pointed equally across the tank?

What do you mean by "louder return line"? I know one drain can be louder (usually attributed to sucking in air). But is one return line creating more noise from water?

On the durso - does it have the air tube at the top with any valve adjustment for air?

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store