The Official Tri State Chit Chat Thread

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Stuff happens. I'm not singing their praises per say, but I've never had an issue with FedEx personally. TBH I only trust a small handful of vendors to ship me fish sight unseen. We're spoiler here on the east coast so much stuff can be found locally.

Wes is one of those vendors though. You just can't get the fish he has anywhere else. Hell, I usually have never heard of half the fish on his list haha.

Reactions: kno4te

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
What's up gentlemen? I prefer FedEx to ups but we have all heard the stories- best one for me was ups lost a box of fish coming to me from a breeder in Atlanta for 5 days- when I got the box figured all would be dead- to my surprise not a single dead fish!

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Who were the shippers?
Wes was the shipper but in his defense, I actually gave him the wrong zip when I sent him my order info. Instead of typing 07039 I fat fingered 07029 and did not proofread my email. The mistake was on my end, but I was surprised that Fedex did not validate it was a real zip code, and then magically correct the zip code but screw up the city.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Wes was the shipper but in his defense, I actually gave him the wrong zip when I sent him my order info. Instead of typing 07039 I fat fingered 07029 and did not proofread my email. The mistake was on my end, but I was surprised that Fedex did not validate it was a real zip code, and then magically correct the zip code but screw up the city.
I was asking who the shipping company was but then I went back and saw where you mentioned FEDEX.I had overlooked it the first time.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I was asking who the shipping company was but then I went back and saw where you mentioned FEDEX.I had overlooked it the first time.
A few years ago I sent an ery ery to a member and UPS lost and never found the package.Although it was no fault of mine I felt bad about it and did not ship anything again for a long time. I don't recall what the issue was but FEDEX botched up an order once as well.Neither of them are perfect but I am still more comfortable dealing with UPS for some reason.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I have a question for all the NJ folks. I am busy planning out a large tank that will see realization in the next 1-1.5 years. I am looking at acrylic tanks but really want to go FRP for a lighter and more durable tank considering I want something like 10x4. Has anyone found a decent vendor in the NJ area? For acrylic I have looked into midwest, fishtanksdirect, and some local folks but the local are just insanely expensive. For FRP, I have found next to nothing aside from Seaquatics (in FL), another vendor in FL, and then ATM.

I find it very hard to believe that there are no reliable vendors that are reasonably priced in the NJ/NY area. I might be forced to go plywood and seek the help of a handyman to assemble and find someone that knows how to apply fiberglass/epoxy (I am useless with DIY).

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Best way to ship. Airport to airport. Take the day off of work and sit there and wait for package to land.
As far as the tank question goes. After calling and talking to about 5 different companies. I will most likely use fish tanks direct I just felt the most confident in the craftsmanship for such a huge tank

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Best way to ship. Airport to airport. Take the day off of work and sit there and wait for package to land.
As far as the tank question goes. After calling and talking to about 5 different companies. I will most likely use fish tanks direct I just felt the most confident in the craftsmanship for such a huge tank
Remember you telling me that and from my interaction with them, I do think if I go acrylic it will be with them. I just really like the idea of a large FRP tank but not sure I will find something reasonable. All the companies I found that do FRP do them for very large tanks (2,000g plus) and focus on big spent projects that cover everything (stand, filtration, etc) versus wanting to just deliver a tank which probably has low margin of profit.

ukgoffer

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2012
Westport, CT
I had a tortoise shipped once. Was supposed to arrive Friday before a 3 day weekend. It ended up in Syracuse NY somehow. I'm in Westport CT. I managed to get ahold of someone at the FedEx distribution center. They took the baby tortoise home for the weekend - opened the package, fed it, gave it fresh water and I got it on Tuesday. I'm sure the guy broke all kinds of rules (like opening my package maybe) but at least my daughter didn't open a box with a dead baby tortoise for her birthday!

Reactions: UnstoppableJayD
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store