Gulpers not hungry

Skyeboy

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 4, 2016
I have a group of 3 4" gulpers. In a 40 breeder all to them. They seem to have no appetite. Ive had them a month now they eat live. But tried getting them on shrimp. I was told thats,what they were eating. The big one ate a small piece of shrimp week ago but thats it. I try putting it in front of then.turning lights out. No luck. Ph 6.8. Ammonia 0. Added neutral regulator to soften water for them. Temp at 80.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hard to break when they've been on live food. Just wait it out and try silversides or tilapia pieces. Try a week and retry. I'm sure it'll take.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Usually the best time to start weaning a fish off live feeders is to start from their arrival, their health permitting.

Once they get used to live feeder fish in your care, it becomes 10x-100x harder.

It will take patience and work but they will cave... if you are lucky in 1-2 weeks, if not it could take months.

Using black worms or nightcrawlers may help. Get them used to these live foods, then rub new foods in with the worms to trick them. 4" appears too big for bloodworms but they also work.

Dangling a thawed fish on a thread has been shown to push them in the desirable direction too.

Is this thread about the same fish and same problem? https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/gulper-wont-eat.680703/

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store