Panaque comparability question

888fish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2008
CA
I obviously have little exp with plecos, which is why I'm asking this question before I purchase. Currently, have a 5" L25 Scarlet (about 3-4 yrs now) and two 6" Chubby Xantos plecos. Considering adding a 2" panaque armbrusteri as I always wanted a Panaque.

1. Besides providing plenty of driftwood, how do I prevent the panaque from eating too much protein that I feed to the rest of my fish? As I feed krill, massivore, NLS Ther A, NLS algaeMax, etc. As I read to much protein causes bloat in a Royal Panaques.

2. Is 2" too small a size with the rest of the plecos?

Many Thanks!

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
I wouldn't worry too much about it. My 27s rasp on wood all day long, and eat whatever I put into the tank. Hikari Sinking Cichlid Excel is my staple and I've never had an issue.

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
I obviously have little exp with plecos, which is why I'm asking this question before I purchase. Currently, have a 5" L25 Scarlet (about 3-4 yrs now) and two 6" Chubby Xantos plecos. Considering adding a 2" panaque armbrusteri as I always wanted a Panaque.

1. Besides providing plenty of driftwood, how do I prevent the panaque from eating too much protein that I feed to the rest of my fish? As I feed krill, massivore, NLS Ther A, NLS algaeMax, etc. As I read to much protein causes bloat in a Royal Panaques.

2. Is 2" too small a size with the rest of the plecos?

Many Thanks!

one question I have is how your l25 is still only 5" after 3-4 years? Also I love your choice in plecos the L25 is one of my favorites and I am currently looking at the L027 and the L190. Is the L027 your looking at the one at wetspot?

All that being said I don't know about question 1 but question 2 is he maybe a little too small

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
How big is your tank footprint? first of all 2" may be too small.. I really dont like to buy plecos under 4" myself, just based upon my experience . That said mature plecos can be quite territorial, Pseudacanthicus can be aggressive .. if you have lots of hidey holes and space it may work? Ive seen some pretty nasty pleco wounds in my time, with not good end results. GL .. can I ask what your feeding your L25 , sounds stunted ?

888fish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2008
CA
Yeah...the L25 used to hide all the time, prob the reason behind the slow growth. But, it's actually been much more active lately, and put on some impressive girth, and length. So I know it's not stunted. Just a late bloomer, maybe. I prob won't buy the 2" L27, yes, was looking at Wetspot. Tank is 170G, so only 24" wide. Thx, all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store