New to Polypterus - Substrate Advice!

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
Will actually be moving all of my larger guys to a new tank in a few minutes. They'll be going from a black sand to a mixture I made, which consists of a couple different colors of FloraMax with some tan gravel mixed in. I'll be taking before pictures of each one tonight and then after pics in a few days once their colors shift. Stay tuned!

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
DUDE!!! F*%K BLACK SUBSTRATE! just 24 hours of being on the new substrate and all of my polys look 10x better, especially the endli, del, moke and lap. Not gonna post pics yet cuz I don't think they're done changing. Pics in a couple days

And does anyone else HATE moving fish as much as I do?? I feel so freakin bad when I do it, and not really because of the physical trauma, but more because I feel like they think I'm betraying them lol. One of my favorite thing about fishkeeping is the interaction and I always feel like netting them breaks the trust lol. It probably doesn't bother them as much as I think, but I still hate it. Oddly enough, the gold dust seems to like me a lot more now that I moved her, not sure why lol.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
DUDE!!! F*%K BLACK SUBSTRATE! just 24 hours of being on the new substrate and all of my polys look 10x better, especially the endli, del, moke and lap. Not gonna post pics yet cuz I don't think they're done changing. Pics in a couple days

And does anyone else HATE moving fish as much as I do?? I feel so freakin bad when I do it, and not really because of the physical trauma, but more because I feel like they think I'm betraying them lol. One of my favorite thing about fishkeeping is the interaction and I always feel like netting them breaks the trust lol. It probably doesn't bother them as much as I think, but I still hate it. Oddly enough, the gold dust seems to like me a lot more now that I moved her, not sure why lol.
Thats why i got rid of my black sand, lolz

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I love my black sand in my 10 gallon planted tank with red chili rasboras and cherry shrimp, as well as my 5 gallon betta tank with a blue/red betta. It makes them stand out.

But I have the natural looking mix in my big tank. I find it interesting that black sand washes out polys. Not sure what I'll do down the line, though I can see the garnet substrate and how it works for people here.

Can't wait to see your pics!

Reactions: Polyaddict86
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store