Harems

Red618

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2016
So I am moving some fish around at the moment and have placed the female Sals together. Along with a male con and a group of Firemouths. So far so good maybe instead of doing a male with 3 females I will just do a tank of 3 females. I had a beautiful male with my largest female she is around 4.5 inches however sadly he passed away while I was out of town. The other female is about 3inches. I can try to get some pics but as of right now they are hiding and darting alot.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I believe it is always best to keep any of the earth eating cichlids in harems with as many females as I could find or fit, whether the tribe Geophagini (Gymnos, Guianacara, Acarichthys, Geophagus, etc) or even their Central American equivalents like Cribroheros, Darienoheros, and Thorichthys. The trick off course this also means, a large enough space is also required.
[/URL

Reactions: tlindsey

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
I'm just getting my feet wet with a harem of Rivulatus in a 135g tank. I have no real experience yet as I'm like 1 month into this. Perhaps Stanzzzz can chime in here? His old Rivulatus tank was the inspiration for mine.

Geos do well in groups, but aside from Steindachneri they don't need harems per se. I kept 7 Red Head Tapajos and had 3 pairs + a fifth (seventh?) wheel. This arrangement worked for years. The male Steinies are a bit more persistent when it comes to spawning so 2 to 3 females for each male is a good idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store