Tesselata Moray Eel compatibility

Hi8iS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2009
Detroit
Thanks for all the insight guys. I really appreciate it. O h yeah & here's another pic :)

Also I have been searching to find that there really is not alot of information available on Moray's. can anyone direct me to a forum or resource that would help me out?

Picture 042.jpg

Picture 040.jpg

Picture 041.jpg

uncwnells

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Wilmington, NC
gosh that eel is making me want to go salt :(

Hi8iS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2009
Detroit
uncwnells;3535813; said:
gosh that eel is making me want to go salt :(
I have been keeping FW for a long time & this Moray has soooooooooo much personality! He has easily become my favorite fish. He is viscious at feeding time! Always front & center ready to great me looking for food as soon as I near the tank. Not to mention the beauty SW provides. Then you factor in all the life in the tank, snails, hermits, corals, Rock, refuigum. It's quite the addiction! I'm already thinking about a bigger tank. I love my Aggressive Reef housing a True Monster!

Steves saltwater life

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2017
Thanks for all the insight guys. I really appreciate it. O h yeah & here's another pic :)

Also I have been searching to find that there really is not alot of information available on Moray's. can anyone direct me to a forum or resource that would help me out?

View attachment 417491

View attachment 417492

View attachment 417493
Mine was that size when I first got him. Now he's just under 4 feet long. Having another eel with him is too risky in my opinion especially an expensive dragon eel as the tessalata will out grow it and have it for dinner. You can find several videos of tessalatas eating other eels on YouTube check it out. Also crabs shrimp and invertebrates will also become a snack. Fish will eventually be killed or eaten no matter the type so just expect it. I've had eels even eat lionfish and aggressive triggers. Unless you have massive fish in a massive tank like 1000 gallons it's not going to end well for them. Trust me I know. He will also get so big that he won't fit between the rocks and he'll start to throw them around the tank. When this happens you will need to get a pvc pipe for him to go in like the one you see in my pictures. here is a picture of my eel in a 60 gal before I moved him to my 200 gal

20160604_175201.jpg20160604_175201.jpg

View attachment 1487718557026-1844052596.jpg

Last edited:

Steves saltwater life

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2017
Mine was that size when I first got him. Now he's just under 4 feet long. Having another eel with him is too risky in my opinion especially an expensive dragon eel as the tessalata will out grow it and have it for dinner. You can find several videos of tessalatas eating other eels on YouTube check it out. Also crabs shrimp and invertebrates will also become a snack. Fish will eventually be killed or eaten no matter the type so just expect it. I've had eels even eat lionfish and aggressive triggers. Unless you have massive fish in a massive tank like 1000 gallons it's not going to end well for them. Trust me I know. He will also get so big that he won't fit between the rocks and he'll start to throw them around the tank. When this happens you will need to get a pvc pipe for him to go in like the one you see in my pictures. here is a picture of my eel in a 60 gal before I moved him to my 200 gal

View attachment 1234225View attachment 1234225

View attachment 1234231
As for corals. I've only found one tough enough to make it with my eel and it's the Kenya trees you see I'm my pictures20141221_174048.jpg

Steves saltwater life

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2017
I have just purchased a Tesselata Eel about 2' long. He is going to go in a 55 gallon for now & will be moved into a 150 soon. I have a couple questions about compatibility. I don't plan on keeping any fish with him(her) but I know these guys are kinda messy eaters & was wonderring if a cleaning crew of larger hermit crabs would be ok with him? What about other Eels? Would they be compatible with him? Also I have never tried coral & want to do so in this tank. Will the Coral be ok with the Eel & the crabs? I have read that the Eels are reef safe. Also what would be some recommendations of some easy coral to keep? My light fixture is a HO t5 with 2 actinic bulbs & 2 6700k with moonlights. Thanks in advance for all of your help. Here is a pic of him taken in side the LFS i purchased him from.

View attachment 414595
If you ever have any problems or questions don't hesitate to ask. I've had mine for over 4 years, and I've taken care of many other species

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store