Rtc pond update

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Very nice video. The water clarity is great for an outdoor tropical pond, rather even amazingly clear.

What are the white protrusions / crumbs I saw on one gar, closer to the rear, and on the snakehead, which is gorgeous by the way? Are these air bubbles, slime, or could they be parasites?

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Very nice video. The water clarity is great for an outdoor tropical pond, rather even amazingly clear.

What are the white protrusions / crumbs I saw on one gar, closer to the rear, and on the snakehead, which is gorgeous by the way? Are these air bubbles, slime, or could they be parasites?
Parasites, anchor worms to be precise, came with a few plecos that I got a while, will be dosing the pond with anchor worm meds, this weekend

About the clarity of the water, Yup I am a bit proud of it, even though it's an outdoor pond, I am a staunch believer of aquaponics, I grow plants in most of my filter, have been doing it for the past 4-5 years, the pond remains clear for 10 months, during peak winter the water does however turn a bit greenish, i just give the plants in the filter a heavy trim, and the water goes back to being clear.

Reactions: moe214

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Aquaponics is great :)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
So the water is clarified by only live-plant filtration? Wow. I thought you must run a UV filter to eliminate the microscopic green algae aka green pea soup.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
So the water is clarified by only live-plant filtration? Wow. I thought you must run a UV filter to eliminate the microscopic green algae aka green pea soup.
Yes I use fast growing marginal plants, such as alucasia. Also plants such as. Hydrocotile verticillata

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store