would one fluval fx6 be enough

MatthewC73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
I am getting ready to buy a 240 gallon tank and was wondering if one fluval fx6 would be enough filtration or would I need more. I am going to stock it with a pair of Jags and a few other larger cichlids. I am not wanting to go with anything but som HOB filters.

PseudaSmart

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
Michigan
You will be surprised by the capacity of the fx5 and now fx6. I have a total of 5 fx for 180 gallon tanks with adult Pseudacanthicus. You can have 5-6 adults with a cleaning schedule of 4 weeks but I'll admit 3 weeks would be better.

Reactions: MatthewC73

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I'm sorry to hijack your thread but would an fx6 be sufficient for a 125 gallon? It's rated for 400 gallons right?

cichla81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2008
heaven is my home
I'm sorry to hijack your thread but would an fx6 be sufficient for a 125 gallon? It's rated for 400 gallons right?
I have an fx6 on my 125, ran it alone for two weeks. While it can keep up with the bio load, I had spots in the tank where poop collected. So I've got the fx6 in the middle section with two filters on each side. Plus they help with putting more oxygen in the tank

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I have an fx6 on my 125, ran it alone for two weeks. While it can keep up with the bio load, I had spots in the tank where poop collected. So I've got the fx6 in the middle section with two filters on each side. Plus they help with putting more oxygen in the tank
Is that the main complaint with them? I mean it's a $400 filter rated for 400 gallons that people don't soley use on a 125. I think I need to learn about sumps.

cichla81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2008
heaven is my home
Is that the main complaint with them? I mean it's a $400 filter rated for 400 gallons that people don't soley use on a 125. I think I need to learn about sumps.
I don't pay attention to what the manufacturer rates the filter at, I look at media capacity and gph, there are too many variable to determine what a filter is rated at, sure the fx6 would filter a 400 gallon tank but only with a neon tetra in it

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
HOB filters on any tank larger than 125 are a waste , plus too noisy .. IMO.... I look to turn over tank water at a minimum of 6 times per hour with larger tank busters..I prefer sumps on tanks greater than 6ft in length .. If your set on canisters run an FX 6 ( rated 925-gph output this filter pump output is rated with an Empty canister , zero head . when you add media , head height and dirt your lucky to get 1/2 that ) and then get a SunSun 4 stage as a compliment ..as long as you dont overstock tank ... GL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store