27 Pictus catfish

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Doing well, thank you. No, I've never noticed any problems with them, neither can I say pictus are more susceptible to any disease than your average fish. I'd not say they are particularly resilient either, just average.

I need to try shooting them inside the tank. I wonder what'd come of it... Maybe when the time comes...

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana
In my experience adults and Columbians school less,the Colombians also get bigger(biggest I've seen is 8 in),if there are more pictus or if the tank is bigger they r more likely to school it seems.

I have a 4-line at home that's just over 11". He's an absolute monster, and hands down the biggest Pictus I've ever seen. He's a garbage disposal.

Reactions: moe214

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I have a 4-line at home that's just over 11". He's an absolute monster, and hands down the biggest Pictus I've ever seen. He's a garbage disposal.
That's one big 4-line. Wow. That's pretty rare. Great achievement in my book.

4-Line pim catfish and pictus catfish can go under various names in the trade and the LFSs but these two names are used most commonly.

Pimelodus blochii (and a company of closely related species in that large genus, e.g., tetramerus, albofasciatum, etc.) and Pimelodus pictus are distinctly different fish species in the same genus and their max sizes differ by more than 2x.

Sometimes a vendor may call 4-line pim catfish a "4-line pictus catfish" or "striped pictus catfish", etc., which then causes confusion as in the foregoing.

Reactions: Iamfish and moe214

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana
Got any pics? Would love to see him.
I'll snag some after the water change tonight. He's pretty easy to photograph, lazy bastage.

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana
That's one big 4-line. Wow. That's pretty rare. Great achievement in my book.

4-Line pim catfish and pictus catfish can go under various names in the trade and the LFSs but these two names are used most commonly.

Pimelodus blochii (and a company of closely related species in that large genus, e.g., tetramerus, albofasciatum, etc.) and Pimelodus pictus are distinctly different fish species in the same genus and their max sizes differ by more than 2x.

Sometimes a vendor may call 4-line pim catfish a "4-line pictus catfish" or "striped pictus catfish", etc., which then causes confusion as in the foregoing.
This is good info to know. I'll post some pictures and maybe you guys can help with an ID. I took the fish as a donation when I worked for my LFS, he was maybe 7" when I got him. I have no clue how old this fish is, but judging by size its gotta be at least 5-6 years old.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana
Got any pics? Would love to see him.
Here are the pictures as promised. I added a few of my Festae as well, could we maybe try to determine male or female? He/she is about 5" at this point and colors are really starting to show.

cf1.jpg cf2.jpg demp.jpg rt2.jpg rt3.jpg rt4.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana
Also, RIP Flowerhorn. The ich got him..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com