Critique my aquascape

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
I know it's know it's not heavily planted so idk if this is the right place for this but anyway.

After much consideration I decided to redo some stuff in my tank because it was too boring. So I added some large rocks to make up for the extra tall tank and now I'm just waiting on the sword to do their job and grow some.

I will have my 40 gallon heavily planted tank coming up soon as well once it gets set up and cycled.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Good start! I have a tall tank too, and driftwood branches up into the open space or coming down from the top, as well as floating plants with longer roots (water lettuce for me) helps bring the bottom and top together.

Is the tank viewable from all sides or is the back of the tank that we see here against a wall?

What are you stocking in here?

Reactions: Fat Homer

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Good start! I have a tall tank too, and driftwood branches up into the open space or coming down from the top, as well as floating plants with longer roots (water lettuce for me) helps bring the bottom and top together.

Is the tank viewable from all sides or is the back of the tank that we see here against a wall?

What are you stocking in here?
I might try that.

And yes the tank is up against a wall.

And the current stock on this tank is a 3.5" electric blue acara and a 5-6" Senegalus bichir. But I plan on changing and getting a couple Texas cichlids(herichthys cyannoguttatus) or a green terror.

The current problem is the EBA just has very little personality and the tank is rather boring.

Reactions: magpie

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Is it a 65?

I'd out a background on the tank to hide the cords and make the heater and filter less apparent.

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Is it a 65?

I'd out a background on the tank to hide the cords and make the heater and filter less apparent.
Yes it is a 65.

I've been considering the a diy 3d background but I'm not the greatest at those sort of projects. I might try it anyway to see what happens

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
That would be cool.

I have a 65 too. It's a love/hate (mostly hate) relationship. I actually like the height, but the 36" footprint really limits the fish you can put in there. I don't think it's long enough for Texas or Green Terrors. Might ask in the cichlid subforum for suggestions. I wish I had known back when I bought my tank that I would always regret not having a 4-ft tank. :(

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Oh well mine might not be a 65. I haven't had the chance to calculate the gallons but it is a 4ft long
I was just told that when I got it I know it's bigger than a 55 with the height and smaller than a 75 with the width so I just went with what I was told. I got the tank for free but I really am not a big fan of the layout. The height just leaves too much open room at the top that is hard to fill in...

But yeah I'm well aware of the size of Tex and gts I'm upgrading to a 125 whenever I feel they need the extra space. Which will probably not take too long because I hate having a that's too small for the bioload

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Yeah, that is true. I'm just working on getting this tank looking as natural as possible

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
You need more structure to keep cichlids in peace. Plants like Java fern and anubias slot in well with that

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store