new to rays.. please advice on diets..

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
finally today i got my rays..

first i tried to feed them with gut loaded superworms, they refused it. then i tried ghost shrimps, they thankfully ate it. but i saw they were kinda struggling to chase the shrimps.

the rays are still small.. about 15cm or less. i see most people feed it twice or three times a day but i dont have the luxury to feed it that many times since the tank is in my office, especially on weekends.

my questions
1- would it be ok to feed ghost shrimps as their main diet? how to get them eat superworms? should i chop it to smaller pieces? what other foods do u feed ur baby rays?

2- would it be fine to stock plenty ghost shrimps in the tank and refill it once its almost gone, so i can skip the 2-3times feeding schedules?

they are in a 200cm Lx90cm Wx60cm H, with 2 fx6 filters

thanks. any advices will be greatly appreciated.

20170224_183050.jpg

cichla81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2008
heaven is my home
Chop the worms up small, I've never heard of a ray to refuse chopped worms, and yes feed 3-4 times a day. The ghost shrimp won't be enough for them

Reactions: giar

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
Chop the worms up small, I've never heard of a ray to refuse chopped worms, and yes feed 3-4 times a day. The ghost shrimp won't be enough for them
i suspect the superworm was too bulky.. i saw them go on top of it but they didnt eat it.

ok so as my questions for stocking the shrimps, is that ok?

what other foods should i feed them?
frozen bloodworms will get sucked to the intake once it defrost and since the tank is too big for them now, most of it will be gone to the intake before it reaches their stomach i suspect?

cichla81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2008
heaven is my home
I would keep them on chopped worms til they are big enough to transition them to a pellet. Forget the ghost shrimps, they would have to eat a ton of those to just maintain. Once they get bigger and you could starve them for a bit to get them on pellets, after they take the pellets regularly you can feed market shrimp, chopped of course and any fish fillet.

Raynado

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2014
Under the rule of my Wife
What were they eating before you got them? Rays will not eat what they're not use to and it will take days (or weeks) for them to eat new foods. Ask the seller or buddy you got the rays from what their diet was and stick to that, but combine small amount of new food so they'll get use to it. Personally for me and only because I can't stand parasites of any kind, I stay away from live food. Even as pups my rays are fed on frozen shrimp, fish and squid. Hope all goes well

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
chopped the worms.. nothing happened they ignored it..

tried frozen bloodworm, they didnt really bother

then i put a batch of ghost shrimps, they went for it.

also why they seem not that active? they just stay at the corner and one of them often leaning/climbing toward the side glass, and stay still for quiet long time.. is this normal?20170225_101050.jpg

cichla81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2008
heaven is my home
With any fish they need time to settle in, I would bet with the big arowana they won't get active til they feel comfortable. In my experience with rays, if you offer live food they will reject other foods and wait for the live.

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
what can i do to make them comfortable quicker?.. should i off the lights, would that help? or just let them be?

Charliea36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2017
what can i do to make them comfortable quicker?.. should i off the lights, would that help? or just let them be?
I would shut the lights off for a couple of days. In the mean time don't worry about wether the ray is eating enough or not. Stingrays are always hungry and when giving them new food it might take a few days before they start eating. It took my ray about a week to get him to eat a DIY recipe of talapia shrimp and scallop. if you go on YouTube search up Urajoey channel and he has a great video explaining how to do this and the benefits of doing it.

Reactions: giar and Bigfishnut
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store