Best color substrate for enhancing Andinocara Rivultus color

Zex Marquis

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2016
Had a 30 gallon with blue gravel in it years back. Any cichlid i put in there looked great

Zex Marquis

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2016
Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder and we all have different tastes.
If a natural look is desired, coloured gravel is best avoided.
Trust me i wasnt a fan of the blue gravel at all lol but the tank was given to me when i was maybe 12. But the way the light reflects off it makes the irridescent blues and greens really pop on fish imo. Every cichlid i put in there really shined

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Healthy, good quality rivulatus have plenty of color, especially as they mature, and it doesn't require a special substrate to bring it out ime, so there's room for some personal preference. Mine is dark background, light sand, and easy on the overhead lighting (not too bright). Substrate isn't the only factor, water quality, food, and lighting are just as important. In fact, it's surprising how the right bulb can enhance your whole tank, adding clarity and vibrancy to the natural colors of plants, fish, sand, etc., while some bulbs can muddy up colors by comparison. You can better see this when you can compare them side by side. (Not talking about extra blue bulbs, like actinic, etc., but getting the right natural bulb.)

Reactions: jvc66

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Healthy, good quality rivulatus have plenty of color, especially as they mature, and it doesn't require a special substrate to bring it out ime, so there's room for some personal preference. Mine is dark background, light sand, and easy on the overhead lighting (not too bright). Substrate isn't the only factor, water quality, food, and lighting are just as important. In fact, it's surprising how the right bulb can enhance your whole tank, adding clarity and vibrancy to the natural colors of plants, fish, sand, etc., while some bulbs can muddy up colors by comparison. You can better see this when you can compare them side by side. (Not talking about extra blue bulbs, like actinic, etc., but getting the right natural bulb.)
My goal for the build was to have overhead pendant lights attached to the back of the stand frame to light the tank. Was looking st doing leds. Any suggestions or opinions on good lighting?would kike to hang everything do it gives the tank a clean look with nothing sitting on top of it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store