Canister Filter Turned K1 Reactor

Zhewitt04

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2015
I have a CFS 700 canister filter. I like the filter, it does a great job. I have since turned to a sump and use filter socks to polish water so don't need the filter other than for biological filtration. I thought about turning this clear canister into a K1 reactor by simply adding K1 and removing the sponges it came with.

Has anyone tried this?
Will the inflow of the filter be enough to turn the media?
Does anyone have opinion on why or why not this will work?
Advice?
Pointers?

Thanks in advance for any help, I might add that if I do this I will post pictures and show the filter/reactor in action.
Thanks again.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I don't think that the k1 would. "boil" properly in a canister and would basically be like putting bioballs in it but I could be wrong

Reactions: Zhewitt04

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I have a CFS 700 canister filter. I like the filter, it does a great job. I have since turned to a sump and use filter socks to polish water so don't need the filter other than for biological filtration. I thought about turning this clear canister into a K1 reactor by simply adding K1 and removing the sponges it came with.

Has anyone tried this?
Will the inflow of the filter be enough to turn the media?
Does anyone have opinion on why or why not this will work?
Advice?
Pointers?

Thanks in advance for any help, I might add that if I do this I will post pictures and show the filter/reactor in action.
Thanks again.
It won't boil. That won't matter. Surface area is surface area. It would be less efficient than a properly boiling reactor but regardless it would help bio. I vote do it. I am doing a similar thing with a calcium reactor and K1.

Zhewitt04

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2015
It won't boil. That won't matter. Surface area is surface area. It would be less efficient than a properly boiling reactor but regardless it would help bio. I vote do it. I am doing a similar thing with a calcium reactor and K1.
I could get more surface area with pot scrubbers or Lava rock. Maybe I'll chuck it full of pot scrubbers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store