New to the forum! Issue with my senegal.

LonelyPariah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2017
Hello everyone! Sorry I have yet to properally introduce myself to the forum yet but I am in fact having some trouble with my senegal bichir, so I wanted to make this post first. I read through a few previous threads to see if this has already come up and I apologize if I'm repeating an issue that has been dealt with prior in this forum. If it has, I'd really appreciate if someone could direct me to the thread. ANYWAYS, in short, my senegal seems to have lost the use of his lower half / tail.

Rou hasn't been acting normal for the last two weeks or so. He still eats and I'm sure he is still pooping so that's good, normal in color and isn't floating. But currently he seems to have no use of his tail/lower body. When he swims he looks as if he is struggling. I know bichirs are rather derpy swimmers to begin with but he isn't using his tail at all and it looks incredibly limp.

I've been trying to google anything and everything to figure out what's wrong and how to treat it but it's super difficult to find really anything. I can try to snag a picture of it later when he isn't in his hide but I'm just nervous.

At first I thought it might have been bloat or gas, but this has been lasting too long for it to be either. He can still swim but definitely struggles. As of the last two days his rear has started to float a bit more, which again, make me think it's gas. But can a gas issue last this long?

Could it be that he is just getting old? I bought him from a man roughly 3 years ago but he was already an adult when I got him and I never got to ask the man how long he had him prior... so I have no clue how old Rou is. :/

If anyone knows anything or can recommend me some websites, books, anything, etc I would be forever greatful! Thank you in advanced!!

IMG_5633.JPG

LonelyPariah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2017
Interesting looking senegal. Not sure as the body is elongated and pretty streamline. What country or state u in?
I live and bought him in Massachusetts (USA). He was full grown when I got him. The man claimed he was an albino which he clearly is not and rather just a normal senegal/grey/dino/etc. I should have mentioned it, but prior to this photo being taken, I had put some ghost shrimp in the tank so he has a pretty full belly!!

I never really measured him but if I could questimate, I'd say he is roughly 9-10 inches? He's a big boy!

Reactions: Polyaddict86

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
I've had polys tail lift up after a large meal. But for it lasting 2 weeks and not using the end portion during a swim is odd. Perhaps, members here can chime in. Are u able to post a video?

jonah h2o

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2016
san diego California
pic makes him look small

LonelyPariah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2017
I've had polys tail lift up after a large meal. But for it lasting 2 weeks and not using the end portion during a swim is odd. Perhaps, members here can chime in. Are u able to post a video?
I might be able to when it's closer to feeding time. He isn't currently in his hide and likes to spend lots of time in it. The main issue is that when he swims he doesn't use his tail. And when he is just resting at the bottom of the tank his back end doesn't really stand upright. The tail lift is super minimal.

Reactions: Polyaddict86

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Thats a really nice sen man.

Try dosing with epsom salt. 1 teadpoon per 5 gal.of water (i think) kno4te kno4te

Could be some trapped air. If it isnt the esom salts wont do any harm.

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
I think you may be dealing with a spinal issue that some captive bred polypterus have. I have a senegal that has the same issue. It started out with him swimming odd, then progressed to him swimming violently and erratically out of control which was really hard to watch, then got a lot better. Now you can see that his tail doesn't move normally, but he's gotten used to it and actually lives pretty normally. It really sounds like what you have.

I would recommend keeping an eye on it and making sure he continues eating. If he does, then he'll probably be ok living with it. I have heard from a few people that it just get's better eventually sometimes. Here's the thread I made when it happened to mine.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/senegalus-acting-crazy-illness.680699/

Hope this helps

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Could be gas. It can last days. That would explain the tail kind of lifting in the air. The inability to move the tail is concerning for a spinal injury. These guys will bump top of tanks and the panels of glass. That can result in this.

Sounds like two things going on.

Would do as jaws7777 suggested with the epsom salt. This will help any gas to be pushed out. Sounds like it won't get any better. But as long he's feeding well then that's all I can suggest.

He's a big boy alright. Hope things don't worsen and will improve. The other members have definitely given some good help. Just my input.

Welcome to the forum and wish it was under better circumstances.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store