Please help Arowana dieing from hole on stomach

Alexander342

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2017
New Zealand
Extremely urgent!!!!

I recently bought a big discus which my Arowana approx 15cm started attacking so I tried to catch the Arowana in a net to move him to another tank which failed because he's so quick and there are so many obstacles in my tank so I tried catching him with my hand but when I caught him my index finger went through his skin and into his stomach :eek: I had barely even applied pressure when I caught him PLEASE HELP I LOVE HIM SO MUCH :(

Alexander342

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2017
New Zealand
Those photos don't do justice... you can see something that looks like part of an intestine, I tried to stitch him up but I don't have Arowana tranquilizer so he started wriggling and I can't hold him and stitch him at the same time :(

Alexander342

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2017
New Zealand
I can see some sort of intestine/organ but can't in the photo is what I meant sorry if that was confusing because I said you can see something that looks like part of an intestine in my last post

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
What'd you do,catch it with a Kung Fu grip?
I can see some redness in the gill area but I'm guessing that pinkish looking thing in lower right corner of the photo is the intestines you mentioned.Sorry I can't offer any help but fish are tough.Keep the water clean and hopefully it will heal.

Alexander342

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2017
New Zealand
What'd you do,catch it with a Kung Fu grip?
I can see some redness in the gill area but I'm guessing that pinkish looking thing in lower right corner of the photo is the intestines you mentioned.Sorry I can't offer any help but fish are tough.Keep the water clean and hopefully it will heal.
Thanks for some reassurance :). I've caught him with my hand exactly the same before because he was picking on an oscar so I waited for the oscar to get bigger and then he was still picking on him so then i did it again with no problems. It must just be because he's quite small and I just read that they're quite vulnerable when they're young, it just felt like a little pop when I caught him. I guess it just must have been quite vulnerable being his stomach and I must have pressed in the weakest spot unfortunately. I'm not sure if it's just because he's dying but he keeps positioning himself on things in a left arch to put pressure on the wound?

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
As K krichardson said I don't know of anything you can do other than keep the water as clean as possible by doing frequent large water changes. My dovii jumped out from 5' onto the concrete slab and was snatched up by my dachshund. Luckily I was there and able to prise the fish out of the dog's mouth, but the fish had multiple puncture wounds. The fish healed up fine with water changes only(may have added salt or pimafix), but none of the punctures were in the vicinity of the organs.

Alexander342

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2017
New Zealand
As K krichardson said I don't know of anything you can do other than keep the water as clean as possible by doing frequent large water changes. My dovii jumped out from 5' onto the concrete slab and was snatched up by my dachshund. Luckily I was there and able to prise the fish out of the dog's mouth, but the fish had multiple puncture wounds. The fish healed up fine with water changes only(may have added salt or pimafix), but none of the punctures were in the vicinity of the organs.
He was dead when I woke up to check on him this morning :(

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
He was dead when I woke up to check on him this morning :(
Very sorry to hear that, I really can't think of anything you could have done under the circumstances that would have changed the outcome.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store