Vieja Melanura Paired Up

FishKing5

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
So only 2 weeks later after adding the group of Rio sarstun melanura, my dominant male has already paired up with one of them. I also just recently added Vita Chem to the tank and to their food which apparently helps with breeding so it seems to have worked. The Vita Chem is awesome stuff BTW. My fish seem super happy after adding it. But anyways the pair are now preparing a spawning site. Should be interesting how they do on their first attempt. The male is a melanura from the Laguna Yaxha region and the female is from the rio sarstun region. Not a big fan of crossbreeding two of these fish from different locations but what do you do. They could actually make some nice looking fish. We will see. Here's a little video of their pre spawning action.

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
Well if your aiming for an all male tank you know what female to eliminate lol
They are gnna cause some aggression towards all your other growouts

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Breeding so early will also slow down their growth rate, as it takes up energy that would otherwise produce growth.

FishKing5

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Breeding so early will also slow down their growth rate, as it takes up energy that would otherwise produce growth.
Well I'm not going to go and pick out every female that pops up ha. Just going to let nature take its course. The growth on these fish has been very fast as I do heavy feeding and a lot of water changes.

FishKing5

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
I'll let them do their thing for one spawn and then will probably separate the female and then continue power feeding these fish to grow them out nicely

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
One of the joy of keeping American is to observe their bonding and breeding behavior. If your tank is big enough and the spawning aggression doesn't become disruptive, I'll let nature take its course. But if you see the same two fish breed in clockwork, expect them to grow slower and may even live a shorter life span IME.

FishKing5

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
One of the joy of keeping American is to observe their bonding and breeding behavior. If your tank is big enough and the spawning aggression doesn't become disruptive, I'll let nature take its course. But if you see the same two fish breed in clockwork, expect them to grow slower and may even live a shorter life span IME.
Ya I'm on board with what you're saying.

FishKing5

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Well the fish still haven't spawned yet. They are continuing to just clean out some spots but still have their breeding dresses and the male is doing his best to keep all the other fish to the other half of the tank . They're also doing a lot of shimmying so showing every sign of breeding but they're just beginners so we will see what happens. I added a pretty enclosed flower pot with a granite piece in front to give them a cave so hopefully they will just use that.

20170226_135745.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store