Rosy Red growout tank

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I figured I'd create a thread for this(before I posted it in another thread).

I've been wanting a small(10-15) school of rosys in my 75. The problem is my albino rainbow will harass them. So I'm trying to grow them out in a 5 gallon. Next issue is the tank is in the garage so I can't have them in it during hot weather(June,July, August and September).

Round 1(Around Oct 2014)- When summer came they were still very small and didn't last long at all in the 75.

Round 2(around Oct 2015)- They started a little bigger. I ended up moving some to the 10gallon but they didn't last long there. When summer came I only had 6 left for the 75. 2 disappeared right away, by the end of the week I was down to 2. It's been 4 months and those 2 are still alive.

Round 3 (today Nov 2, 2016)Decent size. In all 3 rounds I got 15 of them.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I liked mine(ones I didn't feed my snapper) but some would disappear for no apparent reason(maybe the others ate them).

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Good luck. I found myself oddly attached to some feeder goldfish I grew out for my giant snakehead a few years ago.
Rosy reds have a very natural behavior to them that makes them interesting aquarium subjects. Good luck with the latest round of growouts!

Drx6x

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
IL
personal i prefer non rosy fatheads as they seem hardier and look freaking cool in breeding colors. also if you haven't try them with sand substrate they have some pretty interesting behaviors that weren't present over pea gravel.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Been debating on using some rosys already for the 75 as they are really good size.

I'm going to hijack my own thread. I've posted my 10 gallon long/5 gallon with stand in another thread(not sure what thread).

But the wife is wanting me to move the stand and tanks so she can set up the Christmas tree. I'm trying to convince her to set it up elsewhere but she is not budging.

20161122_110431_HDR.jpg

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I'm going to hijack my own thread. I've posted my 10 gallon long/5 gallon with stand in another thread(not sure what thread).

But the wife is wanting me to move the stand and tanks so she can set up the Christmas tree. I'm trying to convince her to set it up elsewhere but she is not budging.
Good news, last week the wife agreed that I would not move the tanks. A few days ago her and her niece set the tree up elsewhere.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Well...I think I'm going to end this project. After I moved the rosey's to the 75, they died off. Even one that was already there. The remaining rosys in the 5 gallon have now all died off. Spring is almost here so buying more won't work at this point. Even if I was to try again...I don't see better results

In other news, the sw crabs have also been dying off. Down to 2 (out of about 7). I have no plans on keeping this tank going and actually look forward to taking it down once the crabs are gone.

On the 10 long, I gave up on bettas. The tiny common pleco seems to have disappeared. I think the larger BN pleco was bullying him some. The 3 cherry barbs seem ok. Will keep it going still.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store