Angel fish laid eggs

jonah h2o

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2016
san diego California
The QT tank has bare bottom glass only. An airstone and heat to about 82 F.
nice! well sounds like your off to a good start. it took me like 10 tries and I still haven't been successful, but the fry are big right now like quarter size and starting to develop colors

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
hello; It only took bout a week of being in the 55 gallon tank for the angels to be settled and to spawn for the third time.
I placed a section of glass with some slate attached but they used a leaf again. I was disappointed at first because the face of the leaf is away so I cannot get any pictures. However a small gem due to this placement. I noticed the female tending the eggs. I had seen her use her mouth before but this is different. She was moving slowly across the eggs and fanning them with one of her pectoral fins. The fin was almost touching them. A very gentle action only seen because I was looking from a different angle.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
hello; It only took bout a week of being in the 55 gallon tank for the angels to be settled and to spawn for the third time.
I placed a section of glass with some slate attached but they used a leaf again. I was disappointed at first because the face of the leaf is away so I cannot get any pictures. However a small gem due to this placement. I noticed the female tending the eggs. I had seen her use her mouth before but this is different. She was moving slowly across the eggs and fanning them with one of her pectoral fins. The fin was almost touching them. A very gentle action only seen because I was looking from a different angle.

She has gained more experience very happy for you.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Reached another milestone, have some free swimming fry.
First a couple of observations. The male is larger than the female and is rough on her much of the time. She will on occasion get the better of him but often gets run up into a corner of the 55 gallon tank. Even then he will sometimes chase her out of hiding.

After the last batch of eggs were laid on an amazon sword leaf I noticed a different behavior. During previous spawning they got along well together with mainly the female tending the eggs and the male standing by and helping a bit. This time the male was running the female away and guarding the eggs on his own. No cooperation this time. Not sure how to figure this change.

Anyway back to the eggs. I decided to try a different approach. The QT tank still had water in it and was set up with a bubbler, sponge filter and heater. I plugged in the heated to get the temps back up to 80 +/- degrees F.
I clipped the amazon leaf with the eggs attached and carefully transferred it to the QT. It floated so I was able to peel back the sponge a bit and stick the stem in the gap to anchor it. That took a few tries.
I turned off the air to the sponge filter and ran it into an airstone, placing it close enough to create a gentle upflow current in the water near the eggs.

Some of the eggs had already turned white before I clipped the leaf which means they were not fertilized I think. I debated trying to remove the white ones as the parents would do, but decided not to try. I also debated adding some methylene blue dye for fungus control but did not as I do not have any and could not find any locally.

After a day or so many of the eggs had been knocked off the leaf as I had the bubbles too close. I moved the airstone off a bit. I had only six or seven eggs still attached and looking clear. I thought the others were lost.

I started a culture by boiling some lettuce leaves, pouring the water and lettuce into an open topped jug and sitting it aside for a few days.I also have an old coffee grinder and have ground some pellet food down very fine.

I noted the fry are free swimming this morning. There are many more than six so some of the eggs that fell off were still ok.

The QT/fry tank was filled to only about 1/3 capacity initially. I do this in fry tanks so I can add fresh water over time to dilute byproducts and also to allow space to pour in the lettuce/water mix. I added a bit of powdered food and lettuce water this morning. This is my next challenge, that being do I have the right food?
I picked up some brine shrimp eggs a few weeks ago and can start some of them.

Back to the parents. The male's aggression was still very strong at the female so I decided to move him to another tank for a time. She now has the 55 to herself and I hope to feed her up, get her in good shape and maybe some more size. So far so good, she is eating well.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello; Reached another milestone, have some free swimming fry.
First a couple of observations. The male is larger than the female and is rough on her much of the time. She will on occasion get the better of him but often gets run up into a corner of the 55 gallon tank. Even then he will sometimes chase her out of hiding.

After the last batch of eggs were laid on an amazon sword leaf I noticed a different behavior. During previous spawning they got along well together with mainly the female tending the eggs and the male standing by and helping a bit. This time the male was running the female away and guarding the eggs on his own. No cooperation this time. Not sure how to figure this change.

Anyway back to the eggs. I decided to try a different approach. The QT tank still had water in it and was set up with a bubbler, sponge filter and heater. I plugged in the heated to get the temps back up to 80 +/- degrees F.
I clipped the amazon leaf with the eggs attached and carefully transferred it to the QT. It floated so I was able to peel back the sponge a bit and stick the stem in the gap to anchor it. That took a few tries.
I turned off the air to the sponge filter and ran it into an airstone, placing it close enough to create a gentle upflow current in the water near the eggs.

Some of the eggs had already turned white before I clipped the leaf which means they were not fertilized I think. I debated trying to remove the white ones as the parents would do, but decided not to try. I also debated adding some methylene blue dye for fungus control but did not as I do not have any and could not find any locally.

After a day or so many of the eggs had been knocked off the leaf as I had the bubbles too close. I moved the airstone off a bit. I had only six or seven eggs still attached and looking clear. I thought the others were lost.

I started a culture by boiling some lettuce leaves, pouring the water and lettuce into an open topped jug and sitting it aside for a few days.I also have an old coffee grinder and have ground some pellet food down very fine.

I noted the fry are free swimming this morning. There are many more than six so some of the eggs that fell off were still ok.

The QT/fry tank was filled to only about 1/3 capacity initially. I do this in fry tanks so I can add fresh water over time to dilute byproducts and also to allow space to pour in the lettuce/water mix. I added a bit of powdered food and lettuce water this morning. This is my next challenge, that being do I have the right food?
I picked up some brine shrimp eggs a few weeks ago and can start some of them.

Back to the parents. The male's aggression was still very strong at the female so I decided to move him to another tank for a time. She now has the 55 to herself and I hope to feed her up, get her in good shape and maybe some more size. So far so good, she is eating well.

You should start hatching the brine shrimp asap but other than that your doing good. Start 2 cultures of brine shrimp if possible . Congrats :D

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; The surviving fry are approaching three weeks. I have been feeding brine shrimp up until today. The fry are beginning to slightly develop the shape of angel fish.

The last three days I have alternated feedings of brine shrimp with powdered fish foods. Today fish foods only. Their bellies looked full late this evening and I observed them picking at and apparently eating. My thinking being that at some point I need to move them from brine shrimp to other foods. Any thoughts???

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
DSCN8039.JPG DSCN8034.JPG

Hello; The fry are growing out well so far. Only seven survived to be come free swimming out of the eleven eggs that hatched. The seven are still doing well and have graduated to processed foods. I stopped brine shrimp altogether about a week ago after rotating between them and powdered foods for several days.

About the parents. The male had become very aggressive toward the female and I think territorial. To the point that he kept the female chased back into a corner of the 55 gallon tank. He would even seek her in the dense plant growth where she hid. She was getting beat up a bit too much. As the female was smaller and looking ragged I decided to move the male to a different tank

I left her in the 55 alone and did feed her extra for about four weeks. Her fins healed up well and she increased in size to the point of being only slightly smaller than the male.

I placed the male back in the 55 and within a day he was back to the same aggressive behavior. I moved him out again after a few days. Not sure what my next move will be other than feeding up the female a while longer to get her more size.

I may rearrange the 55 a bit the next time to see if that might help. I may try to fix some visual barriers so that the female can go to a place completely out of a line of sight. Now that I have some fry, I would like to see if the parents can raise a batch on their own at some point. Regardless I have already had a successful spawning of a, new for me, species.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; After removing the male to a different tank I have been feeding up the female. I put the male back in the 55 as the female is now fairly equal in size, maybe slightly heavier, than the male. I think he tried to dominate her again but she seems to have realized that she has the mass to stand up to him.
Anyway I did a WC yesterday and today they spawned. I plan to leave them in with the eggs this time in the hope they will not eat the eggs or fry as at least one has done in the past.

The fry from the spawning many weeks ago are getting some size on them by the way.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello; After removing the male to a different tank I have been feeding up the female. I put the male back in the 55 as the female is now fairly equal in size, maybe slightly heavier, than the male. I think he tried to dominate her again but she seems to have realized that she has the mass to stand up to him.
Anyway I did a WC yesterday and today they spawned. I plan to leave them in with the eggs this time in the hope they will not eat the eggs or fry as at least one has done in the past.

The fry from the spawning many weeks ago are getting some size on them by the way.

Great to hear that and awesome job with the fry. Have you started offering the fry flake food or small floating pellets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store