(6) Tilapia Butterkoferi Babies Ordered

baddiesel1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2008
Beaufort, NC
They're suppose to ship this Thursday to arrive at my residence the next day. I'm very excited on this new project that I'm working on. They new arrivals will have a fully cycled 180 gallon tank to themselves. I'm hoping I will get (2) that will "pair-up". This is my first time experiencing the infamous butterkoferi. I look forward to the adventure. Any kind words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Good luck, great fish. Stay on top of wc as they are susceptible to hith.

baddiesel1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2008
Beaufort, NC
Good luck, great fish. Stay on top of wc as they are susceptible to hith.
Thanks, will do. I normally perform around 50% w/c on all my tanks every week. Hopefully, that will suffice. I will "thin" the herd as they grow, just hope the 180g tank will be an adequate size to start out with.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Should be fine for a pair, little small but better than 99% get given.
A arapaimag his got to around 44cm in a 15k gallon so 16" is about as big as you can expect.
They love a bit of veg, peas, lettuce ect ime. Gluttonous like Oscars and quite personable too.
Very Underated fish, mine turned nasty in my 300g so I moved him on. He was 14" and about 2-3yrs old.
They com pretty well when young and I found ignored smaller cichlids, I always liked the idea of creating lots of hiding spots and having a big group of red jewels as dithers.
Probably best to get them while they are all small if you wanted to try that.

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

baddiesel1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2008
Beaufort, NC
Thanks for the info Justin. These are supposed to be around 1.5 inches. If I don't see any indication of pairing, I'll probably only keep one fish, and sell the rest. I was considering adding some mbuna, but I'm afraid the butterkoferi will pick on them.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Unlikely at a small size IMO, like I say mine ignored small fish it couldn't swallow.
Kept several, one with larger jewel species.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Should be fine for a pair, little small but better than 99% get given.
A arapaimag his got to around 44cm in a 15k gallon so 16" is about as big as you can expect.
They love a bit of veg, peas, lettuce ect ime. Gluttonous like Oscars and quite personable too.
Very Underated fish, mine turned nasty in my 300g so I moved him on. He was 14" and about 2-3yrs old.
They com pretty well when young and I found ignored smaller cichlids, I always liked the idea of creating lots of hiding spots and having a big group of red jewels as dithers.
Probably best to get them while they are all small if you wanted to try that.
That's a really cool idea!

lunsforj

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
corvallis, OR
They are really fun fish to keep and super cute when small. I found that even though I had two that "paired up", they were still very hard on each other and spent a lot of the time fighting with one another. When I kept them without target fish they would turn on each other in a heartbeat. However, if there was a common enemy, they would often join forces. They are the only fish I could keep when trying to pair my hemichromis fasciatus that wouldn't immediately be killed. Eventually I traded my pair to my lfs where they are currently terrorizing a tank of midevils.

Reactions: baddiesel1

baddiesel1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2008
Beaufort, NC
Awesome tank!!! Thanks for sharing the video. My wife has given me the "green light" to purchase a 300 gallon tank, only one stipulation, I must wait until I retire before making the purchase. *So..... maybe 5 more years of waiting (lol)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store