New tank cycle confusion

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
Hi mfk, I come to you guys with a problem I'm having. I wanted to give my chili rasboras a little bit more room so I went out and bought a used 6 gallon eheim aqua style. I transferred them from my fluval spec into the newly established aquarium and added seachem stability along with some filter media from the old tank. The next morning I wake up and they had all died. I tested the water and everything was 0 ammonia, nitrate and nitrite. I'm assuming if the water was bad I'd have high ammonia spike. I'm also thinking since stability is a dormant bacteria it might not have had enough time to activate. Now I go out and I buy a bottle of dr tims active bacteria thinking it will instantly cycle the tank and I add 4 pea puffers. I wake yet again to see them dead. I tested the water and the ammonia is a .25 a shade greener then 0. Was that enough to kill the fish? How should I continue? What is the best way to continue to cycle tank? Since there's traces of ammonia the tank cycle has already begun correct? Now should I wait till everything goes back to 0 to add fish? Should I do a water change?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi mfk, I come to you guys with a problem I'm having. I wanted to give my chili rasboras a little bit more room so I went out and bought a used 6 gallon eheim aqua style. I transferred them from my fluval spec into the newly established aquarium and added seachem stability along with some filter media from the old tank. The next morning I wake up and they had all died. I tested the water and everything was 0 ammonia, nitrate and nitrite. I'm assuming if the water was bad I'd have high ammonia spike. I'm also thinking since stability is a dormant bacteria it might not have had enough time to activate. Now I go out and I buy a bottle of dr tims active bacteria thinking it will instantly cycle the tank and I add 4 pea puffers. I wake yet again to see them dead. I tested the water and the ammonia is a .25 a shade greener then 0. Was that enough to kill the fish? How should I continue? What is the best way to continue to cycle tank? Since there's traces of ammonia the tank cycle has already begun correct? Now should I wait till everything goes back to 0 to add fish? Should I do a water change?

It is very possible for the fish to be killed by .25ppm ammonia, always keep in mind that a 0 reading of nitrates is a sign that aquarium has not completely cycled.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Not sure why all those fish died, but it sounds like toxicity. Perhaps something in the new set-up is contaminated with a chemical residue. I would recommend rewashing everything(tank, décor, filters, etc).

When a tank is cycled, only ammonia and nitrite will be 0. There will always be some amount of nitrate, and the only practical way to bring down nitrate is through water changes.

Reactions: tlindsey

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
It is very possible for the fish to be killed by .25ppm ammonia, always keep in mind that a 0 reading of nitrates is a sign that aquarium has not completely cycled.
I would say it's possible, but very very unlikely. .25 ppm of ammonia is what anyone who has chloramine in their tap will read. I agree that the tank should be thoroughly cleaned. Also, make sure you have good surface agitation, and make sure you don't have any electrical shorts by inspecting all of the equipment.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I vote some type of toxicity as well. with a bottle of stability those fish should not have succumbed to ammo poisoning, especially at .25.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
I've been saying it forever, and I'll say it again: bottled bacteria is snake oil. Your fish tank is a living eco system and it takes time for beneficial bacteria to properly colonize. Your rasboras probably died from sheer stress during the move. Chili rasboras are very sensitive fish.

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
I've been saying it forever, and I'll say it again: bottled bacteria is snake oil. Your fish tank is a living eco system and it takes time for beneficial bacteria to properly colonize. Your rasboras probably died from sheer stress during the move. Chili rasboras are very sensitive fish.
I used old filter media from my tank as well, tonight im gonna wash the tank out throughly maybe add new water. I used ro water to set up the tank so the ammonia is definitely coming from fish. How would you guys cycle the tank successfully? Should I leave everything that's in the tank alone and hope it's continuing to cycle. I'll do a water change after work

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store