COME TO THE DARKSIDE!

tigerjace

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 5, 2006
SoCal
I was doing freshwater for a decade now. I've been contemplating on doing saltwater for the longest time. Well I finally did it...and I LOVE IT!

Here is my 150g Mixed Reef. Tank was setup in Sept 2016 and cycling. Started adding live stock a month later. Still continuously adding corals and fiddling with the rockscape. Picture taken sometime in Jan 2017.

SALTWATER JAN2017.jpg

For those that are thinking of doing saltwater, I say do it!

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
I'm getting my rock and everything going now. I'm going fowlr until the coral bug bites though.

What's the specifics on this tank? Filtration, powerheads, skimmer, and livestock?

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
Love the lps, gorgonian and green toadstool. Very nice tank. What fish are you keeping in the reef? What's the coral on the far right? Is it a Xenia or a group of long polyp toadstools next to each other.

Reactions: tlindsey

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Cool tank, but SW is waaay too expensive for me. I doubt how much I would like a large marine tank someday, maybe a small one

tigerjace

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 5, 2006
SoCal
I'm getting my rock and everything going now. I'm going fowlr until the coral bug bites though.

What's the specifics on this tank? Filtration, powerheads, skimmer, and livestock?
If you're already thinking about corals but are hesitant and making the compromise by doing fowlr, the coral bug has already bitten you and you're just in denial. lol.

Specifics:

Whats in the stand:
Sump: Trigger Systems Ruby 36 Sump
Return Pump: Waveline DC-10000
Skimmer: Vertex Omega 150
ATO: Tunze 3155 / 10g reserve tank
Nano Light: JBJ Nano light

Other Equipment:
Controller: Neptune Apex Gold
Powerheads: Neptune Wav
Lights: Radion XR30W (X3)

What's in the Tank:
Live Rock: Approx. 150lbs
Live Sand: Approx. 150lbs
Corals: Approx 50pcs (SPS/LPS/SOFT)

Love the lps, gorgonian and green toadstool. Very nice tank. What fish are you keeping in the reef? What's the coral on the far right? Is it a Xenia or a group of long polyp toadstools next to each other.
Thanks. At the moment, fish consists of: 2.5" Yellow Tang, 2.5" Hippo Tang, 2.5" Purple Tang, 4" Sargassum Trigger, 2.5" Yellow Watchman Goby, 1.5" - 2" pair of picasso clowns. The coral on the right is a colony of 9 toadstools.

Salts fun. I dabbled it for years. I had a four foot 120 sps reef tank. The only thing it's Uber expensive. I had atleast 5grand in that tank
It is expensive. Once you get into it, the coral list is endless and you want everything. lol. But freshwater fish can get expensive too...BD Rays, Asian Aros, Exotic Plecos, etc.

Cool tank, but SW is waaay too expensive for me. I doubt how much I would like a large marine tank someday, maybe a small one
It doesn't have to be. You can go simple start with 60-100g and keep it simple. Stick with the more common corals and stay away from the designer corals and you will be alright.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hendre

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I gotta admit that I am a little tempted to come back to the dark side.If I do it will be a small tank,like a ten gallon or something.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
If you're already thinking about corals but are hesitant and making the compromise by doing fowlr, the coral bug has already bitten you and you're just in denial. Lol
I like the colors and challenge of coral. However I'm a puffer addict and I'm not sure that would work out together. Reef tanks are so nice though.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
It doesn't have to be. You can go simple start with 60-100g and keep it simple. Stick with the more common corals and stay away from the designer corals and you will be alright.
I'm just hanging in with my 90 gallons FW lol. Maybe one day when I actually have some money to spend

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store